Locking cap nuts on Wista like field cameras

richard_ross

I thought I would replace some of the nylon washers on my Wista DX

field camera. I found after removing the cap nut from one of the

focus knobs that the cap nut no longer locks on securely. Do I need

to replace the caps nuts or are their replacement locking inserts

available??

I am not offering an answer here however Ross's original question relates to something I have been wondering about since I got my Wista this past summer.

The left-hand focusing knob on my Wista was loose when I purchased it. The knob would either fall off or tighten up depending upon which way the right-hand knob (which was well-attached) was turned. Thinking this was not normal I tightend the cap nut with a socket driver while holding the knob.

That took care of the loose knob problem, now both knobs can be used to focus. However, now I wonder, was the knob supposed to be loose? Was it intended to be used as a focus lock? And if so how would I keep from loosing the knob and cap nut?

The left hand knob on the Wista is the focus lock. I believe this is a standard configuration for all focus bed controls on wooden field cameras. So long as the cap nut is securely on, the large knob could be turned out (counterclockwise) tightly against it allowing focusing in one direction. Turning it clockwise secures it against the base, locking the focusing mechanism.