Choosing a Lens for Events

romy_modlin

<p>Hi there,<br /> I am a portrait photographer that is getting into event photography. I own a Nikon D700 body, with the following lenses: 50mm 1.8D, 85mm 1.4D, and an 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G<br /> What is the best lens for event photography, I have been looking at the 17-55? Do I need it if I am using the 50mm and 18-200?<br /> Thanks.</p>

<p>Romy</p>

<p>Romy,</p>

<p>What kind of events? There is no "best lens" for "event photography." Even if we nail down the event as, say, a wedding or a quinceañera, there are different parts to those events that may require (usually do require) different lenses. </p>

<p>That said, you seem to have a couple good focal lengths to start with. (I don't know the Nikon lenses very well so I'll just assume that these are also very good lenses optically.) I'd think the next thing you'd want to add would be something wider: a wide-to-midrange zoom or a couple of wider primes. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Are you sure you mean the D700? You would likely be having trouble with that 18-200 you have, would also have trouble with the 17-55 (which is a DX lens, meant for cropped-format cameras like the D70,80,90,200,300 etc). <br /><br />If that was a typo and you meant D70, the ... yes, the 17-55 is an excellent event shooting lens. But you might want to consider a different (or additional) body if you plan to shoot live events for pay. Can you elaborate a bit?</p>

<p>If you have a D700 you could consider the 24-70mm F2.8 G or the 28-70 F2.8 D. The 24-85 mm F2.8-4 D lens is also a possibility. With a D70 (or any other DX camera) the 17-55 F2.8 G is a good choice. I recently shot an outdoor event with a 24-120 and an 80-400 with a D700.</p>