Hasselblad A16 & Prism or Mamiya 645 or...?

photomat-

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<p>I have been thinking about shooting some 645 format lately and was considering buying an A16 back and a Prism for my Hasselblad but was wondering whether I might consider a cheap M645 1000s set up instead? I have also looked Kiev offerings in 645 from Hartblei and Arax for the CZJ lenses. The 180mm Sonnar looks interesting. I am looking for an eye level experience basically.<br>

<br /> Anything else I should be considering? I did own a Bronica ETRS a long time ago and had a lot of problems with it so won't be considering one of those.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> Matt.</p>

<p>Hey Matt-I think you have a good question there. I had a M645 Pro (I like this box better then the 1000) and my absolutely favorite and most versatile lens was the 50mm F4 Perspective Control (PC) lens. If you do any architecture photography, this is the cat's meow in a very reasonably priced MF camera.</p>

<p>With that set up, you'd have a spare body with a capability your Blad doesn't have. One photo attachment is my camera (stolen at gun point in Brazil, with a magnetic remote essential for squeezing everything you can out of the format) in Las Ruinas de Santa Roda de Copan, Honduras. And another picture (definitely a "B" Side photo) shot hand held with the 50/4 PC in Shivta, Negev Desert, Israel.</p><div>00Ws1Z-260397584.jpg.2269ea93d3e134a66e9a1bc6839648f5.jpg</div>

<p>I would definitely want the extra 4 exposures rather than just cropping. A prism seems like a must for 645, shooting verticals with a WLF can't be much fun.</p>

<p>What got me thinking about this was looking at Pentacon 6 and Kiev 60's. I saw there was a 645 version of the Kiev. Then I realized that a cheap prism and A16 back would be about the same cost as a P6 mount set up. The one thing I find attractive about the P6 mount cameras is the 35mm SLR style handling, albeit in a bigger package. Of course it doesn't make much sense to start buying a new system, but every camera system has its own merits and quirky charms. For example, I really like the results I have seen with the 35mm lens for the Mamiya 645 cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I do like 6x4.5 very much, but overall the square does offer more than the rectangle in my experience. And it is better for me to shoot the photo and crop later, than to be limited to a rectangle while composing, and having to decide do I want horizontal or vertical, at the time of exposure. This is why I prefer the square over any other format. I'd never consider getting a 6x4.5 back for my Hasselblad. I'd rather buy a cheap Bronica ETRS for that.</p>

<p><em>"I'd never consider getting a 6x4.5 back for my Hasselblad. I'd rather buy a cheap Bronica ETRS for that."</em></p>

<p>Just curious: why, Dave?</p>

<p>I can't help thinking (still): <em>"why would you want to start another system when all you need is a 6x4.5 back?"</em></p>

I have a Rolleiflex Automat that I use and a couple of 35mm rangefinders

plus my Canon digital SLR. Aside from the fact that they all take pictures,

they are all different in style and operation. An A16 back would be nice but

there are cheap enough options out there that another system becomes

viable. I do believe I will likely end up with said A16 back and a prism to use

with it for verticals.

Thanks.

<p>Q.G, the Bronica ETRS is a superb camera. With the speed grip and the AEII prism it handles like a 35mm SLR. I had one many years ago and recently began scanning some negatives I shot with it. Results are fantastic. Makes me think to get another one, but I still prefer the square. It was my first medium format SLR camera and I enjoyed many years with it (OK only about a year before I upgraded to the Mamiya RB67 Pro-S).</p>

<p>Dave,</p>

<p>I wasn't commenting on any camera.<br>

I just wouldn't know why anyone would want to invest the money needed to get a different working 6x4.5 set when you can turn your existing set into one by just adding a much cheaper 6x4.5 back.<br>

And would you want to carry two complete kits - camera bodies lenses, finders, backs - just so you can shoot both 6x4.5 and 6x6, or would it not make sense to just carry a single extra back?</p>

<p>That's the thing i was thinking about. </p>

It makes perfect sense to me to do that, but we don't always do the logical thing. Having different systems to shoot

with is fun. I usually only carry one at a time. On rare occassions I might carry my digital and one film camera, like a

wide on the hasselblad and a normal on my canon.

<p>Q.G, I'm not thinking of buying another camera system now, frankly I don't have the money or the space for storing it. I've been there, done that, with the Bronica camera. I recently did a comparison between the Hasselblad 500cm and the 80mm Planar, and my 1949 Rolleiflex with a Tessar. The results weren't identical, but close enough so as to make me question why I even have a Hasselblad at all, when the Rolleiflex is smaller, lighter, and cheaper to own and shoot with. Potentially even more reliable as well. Having two cameras that produce more or less the same results is odd, but I bought the Hasselblad expecting it to produce noticeably better negatives and in black and white at least, it doesn't seem to. Now throwing on the 60mm Distagon does indeed make it a better camera! Can't do that with the Rolleiflex that's for sure. But right now Bronica cameras are so incredibly cheap it's almost dumb not to buy one to shoot with. An entire system can be purchased for the same amount of money as a 645 back for the Hasselblad, so why not?</p>