Ballhead buying advice

vr_kala1

<p>Hi,<br>

I've the following setup:<br>

Canon T2i with Sigma 17-70 OS lens, Canon 70-300 IS lens & Manfrotto 190XproB tripod.<br>

I am planning to buy a good ballhead and here are my current options. It would be great if someone can <br>

help me in buying a good one by their sincere advice. Thanks in advance:-)<br>

1) Acratech utlimate ballhead<br>

2) Benro B-1 with QR plate (the cheapest option)<br>

3) FEISOL CB-40D with QR plate<br>

4) Vanguard SBH-300 with QR plate<br>

Has anyone used any of the above heads? I really like Acratech ultimate ballhead which I experimented recently with my friend's canon 50D & 70-200 f/4 lens...it's GREAT. Two things I really liked in it are the angle of motion - compelte downwards (is it 180 degress?) as well as any other direction [by simply turning the head a little]and the stability. These 2 are the most important things apart from cost :-)<br>

Again, I would like to buy a head to keep it for really long time and may be able to use it with some more tougher bodies and heavier lenses (in future).<br>

Any ideas on lighter tripods (not too costly) are also welcome!<br>

Cheers,<br />Kala</p>

<p>I can only comment on the one I use. I've used the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead for several years now, and it has performed admirably. As you know, the design is a bit unusual in that the ball is open rather than (mostly) enclosed, and the "band" that holds the ball is tilted at a 45 degree angle.</p>

<ul>

<li>My primary reason for acquiring this ballhead over other excellent options was the combination of high quality, good functionality, and very light weight. </li>

<li>Among other things, I do photography while backpacking, so gear weight is an issue. The Acratech unit only weighs about one pound.</li>

<li>In terms of camera stability it works as well as other heavier units. I use mine with (to name the heaviest setup) a 5D2 with the EF 100-400.</li>

<li>I have a few small scratches on mine, but it is otherwise in great shape - despite the fact that I bang it around a fair amount and carry it attached to a tripod on the outside of various packs.</li>

</ul>

<p>One oddity about this unit that I quickly adapted to is the need to swivel the base of the unit if I want to aim the camera in an extreme upward or downward direction. This quickly becomes second nature. (Sounds like you are aware of this and have already figured it out.)</p>

<p>Tripod-wise, I'm going to refrain from trying to give too much specific advice since there are so many options. However, I will repeat the usual advice to not go cheap on the tripod - unless you want to repeat the typical cycle of buying about three tripods before you figure this out. (1st tripod: flimsy cheap tripod that costs less than $100; second tripod: looks like a real tripod and cost a bit more than $100; first good tripod: costs what tripods cost and actually works well.)</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I agree with G Dan Mitchell 100% on the Acratech. Very lightweight but super sturdy and reliable in use. Uses standard Arca Swiss style plates. Acratech has a plate for nearly any application you can think of, and then some generic plates as well. The locking knob requires mimimal effort and holds your gear exactly where you pointed it with no sag or creep. There is also a friction adjustment knob (I've never had to adjust, but it's there if needed).</p>

<p>Customer service is outstanding. I recently ordered a spare plate directely from Acratech; from their online store, my order was confirmed and shipped out the same day (from California). I placed the order regular USPS service on a Friday and received it on the following Tuesday (East coast).</p>

<p>I typically use my Acratech Ultimate on top of a Velbon carbon fiber tripod. Very light weight combo for hiking or other carrying. I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the lever locks personally. I know many like the twist lock legs (like those on the Gitzo line). The center column unscrews to make a shorter column so that it can be used with the legs spread flat (for macro work close to the ground). It also comes with a carrying case (and yes, the head fits inside without removing from the tripod) and a "stone bag" that can be attached to the center column and filled with rocks or sand for added stability. I have a few other ballheads and tripods, but this combo is lightest by a good margin; my favorite for field trips.</p>

<p>Mark, you bring up a couple of very interesting points. My main tripod is a very large Induro carbon fiber unit that will place the camera at above eye level without the center column extended. But I would virtually never take this tripod backpacking - too big and too heavy. (Though if someone wants to come along and carry it for me...)</p>

<p>For that I also use a rather unlikely tripod, the Velbon 540 "El Carmagne." ("carmagne" apparently indicates CARbon fibre legs and MAGNEsium metal parts.) This is a rather small - by my standards - and light tripod. But it fits decently on the outside of my backpacking pack, it quite stable for such a small and light unit, and fully extended will go just about to eye level... if I stoop a tiny bit. I feel like I shouldn't regard this as a fully serious tripod, but for this use it really works well. It also has the "flop-locks" on the legs, and I agree that they are quicker to set up. (My Induro has rotating locks.)</p>

<p>The only downsides, after seasons of heavy usage, are:</p>

<ul>

<li>Center column adjustment is not very smooth. It works, but it does not exactly reek of super high quality.</li>

<li>I must use the center column regularly, thus making the camera a bit less stable. In practice this rarely turns out to be a problem.</li>

<li>It has four-section legs. While this is an advantage in terms of packed size, it means that you have 50% more legs to extend and lock.</li>

<li>Being a light tripod, it is, uh, light - not always a great feature in a tripod, but for backpacking this is a reasonable trade-off.</li>

</ul>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>If you've already tried the Acratech Ultimate and you like the way it works, you should definitely go with it. Its combination of light weight and stability is superb - I believe it's the most solid ballhead in its weight range. The only objection would be, it can be awkward to use at first if you're used to a more "standard" design.</p>

<p >Hello,<br>

Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions!</p>

<p >Just with single use of the Acratech ultimate ballhead, I fell in love with it. My only concern is the price. The reason why I've posted this question is to see if someone has used the other heads. As my setup is not that heavy and other ballheads are looking promising, I thought of getting any hands on reviews or recommendations. My final choices are back to Acratech and Feisol. I've got good responses from Feisol customer service and they ship from NC, USA. With good return policy, I am planning to at least give a try considering the price.</p>

<p >-Kala</p>

<p>I have tried a couple of different Gitzo ballheads, the Acratech ultimate ballhead, and Really Right Stuff ballheads. I sold the Gitzos; didn't care for the small plates and the action just didn't feel as smooth as the others. The Acratech felt much better in terms of quality and smooth movement of the ball. This is largely personal preference - but I am a huge fan of the RRS equipment. High precision and quality materials and workmanship - both the ballheads and the L-plates. </p>