Nikkor 80-200 AF-D (New)

rubi_vale

<p>Hello<br>

I am in the process of bargain hunting full frame lenses (80-200 AF-D 2 ring)for a upcoming purchase of a D700. I have a D5000 camera. Knowing that I cannot shoot in auto, I would like to find out what I can do to test a used lens? OR is there no reliable way to check the lens with a D5000?<br>

Second question: I tested an older AF-D (single ring) I had to stop down the aperture to f22 and then use my camera to set the aperture. Is this what I need to do to take pictures? Otherwise I was getting a FEE error. Any feedback/advise would be much appreciated.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a D5000 camera. Knowing that I cannot shoot in auto, I would like to find out what I can do to test a used lens? OR is there no reliable way to check the lens with a D5000?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right, unfortunately, there is no way to test the AF on an AF-D type lens using the D5000.</p>

<p>Concerning the 2nd part of your question, with your D5000, you have to stop down the lens to its minimum aperture, which is f22 in this case, and use the sub-command dial to control the aperture. Of course the D5000 has only one command dial, so you need to toggle it.</p>

<p>On the D700, you have the option to use the aperture ring itself to control the aperture. This recent thread has more info: <a href="00aAva">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00aAva</a><br>

Your D5000 works like the D5100, and the D700 works like the D7000 as far as the aperture ring goes.</p>

<p>You can test all of the important aspects of a lens with your D5100. Since the autofocus is a simple screw-drive, there isn't really anything that goes wrong with it. Much more important is to check the lens elements for haze/fungus, and to take some test shots manually focused on your D5100. Use live view to help you focus if you want, but overall you're just checking to see if the aperture stops down like it's supposed to. If the photos come out well-exposed and contrasty, then the lens is fine.</p>

<p>Yes! Inside you'll see some specks of dust and that's quite normal, but many hundreds or bigger chunks is bad. :-)</p>

<p>Fungus is usually kinda fibrous, often eminating from a central spot, sometimes like mini snail trails. </p>

<p>To an extent, if you see anything other than a few dust specks, move on. You should be able to find a nice clean one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Since the autofocus is a simple screw-drive, there isn't really anything that goes wrong with it."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's an interesting conclusion. It's mechanical, and any component in the autofocus drive train can fail ... drive gear, ring gear, AF/M selector ring switch (a very common failure with this lens). Or the lens CPU that actually "drives" the autofocus function can fail.</p>

<p>Only way to absolutely know for sure if the autofocus function is good is to actually test it on a body that can focus an AF-D lens.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Concerning the 2nd part of your question, with your D5000, you have to stop down the lens to its minimum aperture, which is f22 in this case..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>To be more accurate, and perhaps this might be considered "nit-picking", you don't actually stop down the lens to f/22. You just move the aperture ring to the f/22 (minimum) setting to get the mechanical hard stop "out of the way" to allow the camera to control aperture movement limits. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>To be more accurate, and perhaps this might be considered "nit-picking", you don't actually stop down the lens to f/22. You just move the aperture ring to the f/22 (minimum) setting to get the mechanical hard stop "out of the way" to allow the camera to control aperture movement limits. :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> Thanks. I was puzzling over that anomaly. It seemed contradictory that I am "stopping" down the lens but magically somehow the camera could shoot at a larger aperture!. That's a good explanation.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>FYI. I just bite a push pull version of 80-200mm 2.8 ED AFD lens in BGN condition at keh. Filter ring damaged. It is $379.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow, so you bit the lens and damaged the filter ring? You must have a strong jaw and teeth. :-)</p>