I manage a photo lab and the big boss man decided that we have to

have a studio to increse his revenues (not mine of course but never

mind!) As I'm the only one with any photographic experience in the

shop and have a decent camera (Elan II) I was fated to be the one who

will be taking the pics. The lighting will be set up for me by a

professional (which I am decidedly not!) so hopefully all I will have

to do is point in the right direction and click, making sure they're

not picking their nose or something. I know, I know, Believe me I

don't get a choice, I wish I had time to take the courses..

Anyway i need advice as to a good lens for this kind of stuff, I

understand that between 85 to 100mm is ideal. I have a 35-135 USM

would that do considering how sloppy everything else is going to be

or is there a cheap route (getting my boss to pay is like squeezing

water from a stone) i.e. good 2nd hand/3rd party? I don't think I

need very fast lenses as we'll be using a picture backdrop.

I know I'm way out of my depth but I want to keep my job and that

means getting it done and keeping my mouth shut!

That's a strange situation Ben. You shouldn't be expected to use

any of your personal gear at work if you are an hourly photo

processing employee. Sounds to me like you're just plain getting

taken advantage of. I don't think I could recommend anything to

you other than that you demand proper company-owned gear

and due compensation if your job description is being expanded

to include photographer (this could be considered a promotion,

BTW).

This is also a point in your employment where you should take

advtange of documenting what's going on. Recommend that

they get a proper camera and portrait lens, and put your

recommendation in writing (hard copy) to your boss and/or the

shop owner. If they give you a hard time and try to bully you into

extra tasks and using your personal gear, make sure other

employees know what's going down. In the event that you get

fired for asserting basic employee rights, you'll have a good

case against your employer.

My condolences. Make the best of it. Who knows, maybe it'll turn into something better later? Opportunity knocks in strange ways.

Anyway, one thing to consider is that a 100mm is great for single headshots, but is a bit long for longer portraits or multi-person shots (unless you have a big studio). So, it somewhat depends on what exactly you will be asked to shoot. Under the circumstances, a zoom like yours might not be a bad place to start, at all.

Maybe cut a deal with your boss to use your equipment for a limited period of time (couple-three months?), to see if the idea will fly as a business proposition. Get him to kick in a rental fee during that period. Maybe $100 a month? If the business works, then he buys new equipment. If it doesn't, you shut it down. In the meantime, you get enough for maybe a new lens or something. Yeah, I know, business "shouldn't" work that way, but with real small businesses things get funny.

Good luck. :)

Your boss must really be asleep at the wheel if he thinks that a pro lighting setup is going to offset the use of 35mm and someone with no studio portraiture experience. It's fine for cruise-ship souvenir photos but there are enough experienced portrait studios with MF or LF equipment that this venture is quite likely to fail, and when it does, what are the chances he'll blame himself? Your 35-135 would be as good as anything for this kamikaze mission and I wouldn't pressure him into buying anything else unless you really know how to work him so he thinks it's his idea.

I can only imagine your situation if you are desparate to say in this job. But hey maybe you can make the best of it.

For starters do you have a tripod coz if you dont you'll be in trouble, I dont think even your boss can be that stupid if he thinks that you can take decent handheld pics without one... then again. If you dont then squeeze him as hard as you can for a decent one.

If you will be having to pay for this lens then I suggest you go with what you have. The Elan 35-135 setup with film like Fuji Reala 100 stopped down to f8-11 should do you OK. If he is going to release the cash then go for something else nice but dont you pay for it. The good thing about your lens is that you can frame the shot whether you take one person or a family.

Also ask the pro who comes for advice, show him your kit and get him to setup the flash for that setup. Before you do any for real, run a film or two through to vary the aperture and focal length, shutter speed should just be 1/90th for you to synch properly.

It may not be the best studio ever but hey you might enjoy getting paid to take photos for a living.

make the best of it is about the only advice that makes sense - but whilst gritting the teeth you will have the chance to learn a new skill and that may eventually be your exit strategy - the equipment is just machines and you'll learn to work those ok - working with the subjects - relaxing them - making them look good - that's a v.v. important skill. Keep copies of the good stuff for yourself - build a portfolio - don't show it to the bosstard - keep it packed in your going away bag. All the time you're getting better at it remember that experience can't be bought or learned - just acquired - and it's valuable. Good luck

Did I say owner? I meant manager, i.e. two employees under me though I still do most of the work. Sorry. In reply to Yaron, He provides. Basically he doesn't want to work with a photographer, he provides equipment and room, I provide camera (though I'm not going to agree to that) and do the shooting and then process in the lab.

I bring over professional film from the UK for myself as it's cheaper than consumer film at cost price here but there's no way he's going to get his hands on it! Will probably end up using consumer film here anyway, a roll of NPS or NPH costs the equivelent of 10 dollars for a 36 roll, cost price. Then again most weddings here are shot on 200 superia or 200 gold.

I'm not going to let him use my equipment unless he pays for it and I can use that money towards more lenses or a nice used 420EX. Hopefully though he'll forget the idea. I've enough on my plate managing a lab with 100+ rolls a day to be bothered running a studio and taking the extra time over the prints.

Ben,<P>

Is your boss for real? How does he expect to set up a studio and not provide a camera? He is willing to pay for lighting equipment, but too cheap to buy good films? So what makes the studio different from people taking casual pictures at home? The lights? Tell your boss to forget about it, and concentrate in the photo lab business. He might want to expand the business some other ways, such as printing digital files, or scanning films, or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally off the topic of best lens, I'd like to help. If I was in your situation, it would be important to outline expectations on his and your side. If you start charging for your equipment use, he will expect that you are responsible for having it ready and perfect everytime. Be careful; once that equipment starts changing hands, it may eventually break, and then you need to come up with an instant substitute for some photo session scheduled 30 minutes later. Any equipment use must be at his risk.

On topic: Best case scenario, with basic equipment, you create a product that exceeds the thresholds of your consumers, and they buy it. Diamonds sold at department stores are terrible compared to some specialty stores, but they do well because what "looks good" in the eyes of the buyers is met at the price they can afford. That brings us to the lens issue. With the boss watching, expose a roll of his film on an unwilling child, demonstrate the capabilities of your current lens (aperture and related shutter speed limitations) under simulated conditions and let the bossman decide. One shouldn't critique just the best pictures, show them all. Maybe you do need a faster lens for faster shutter speeds for small child/baby shots. This will cover many issues: satisfaction with your photographic technique, equipment limitations and yield of acceptable photos, which will be weighed against the expenditure to put up this business. If the bossman is very careful of his money, this will matter. It may work, but it leaves very little room for error. Worst case scenario, you waste his time watching you and you waste a roll of film. Either way you go back and do your usual job and your livelihood is not jeopardized.

As he is watching productivity like a hawk, you will be truly helping him and no matter how you feel about him or he about you, an asset is an asset.

For now, share your knowledge and capabilities professionally with him, and he will decide how to proceed. So open your mouth to keep your job and place the burden of equipment upon him.