Leica IIIg Take-Up Spool and Film Leader?

<p>Did the Leica IIIg come from the factory with a film take-up spool marked "M" or did it come with a specific Leica IIIg spool marked in some other way? Also, is it necessary to trim modern cassette film leaders to properly load the Leica IIIg as is necessary with other Barnack bodies? Thanks.</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

My 1959 Leica USA catalog has this to say:<br>

"SPOOM<br>

Take-up Spool (marked 'M') with pop-up knob for Leica M 2, M 3, Ig and IIIg. (Unmarked Spools cannot be used with the Ig and IIIg) .... $2.40"</p>

<p>Oh, and from the same catalog, you could have bought an ABLON film leader trimming template for the same price, $2.40 (!) Seems kind of expensive even then??<br>

Regards,<br>

Steve Busch</p>

<p>I have a 1957 Leica IIIg instruction manual and the film loading instructions on page 20 do not mention anything about trimming the film leader. In fact, nowhere in the book can I find any reference to trimming the film leader. This is not the abbreviated instruction manual.</p>

<p>"...draw out just enough of the film from the cassette to enable you to insert the two parts - take-up spool and cassette - into the camera."</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert<br>

With my IIIF, I find that as long as I:<br>

-remove the lens, set the shutter on "T" and push the release so the shutter remains open, I can quite easily take a store bought roll of film with standard leader and with the help of a business card, start it on the empty spool per the drawing in the camera, place the spool and roll of film in the camera, gently push the film (using the business card if need be) so that the perforations at the bottom of the leader (very close to the portion of film that is full width) engages the corresponding lower sprocket (which you can barely see). I make certain the film cassette and empty spool are firmly bottomed out, then I carefully wind the film, watching to make certain the bottom perforations continue to engage the bottom sprocket. Reinstall the lens, put the bottom on the camera, take the slack out of the film spool with the rewind, set the shutter to a timed speed and release shutter and wind the film one more time watching the rewind knob to make sure it is turning and every thing operates smoothly. I've been doing it this way for 6 years and has always been satisfactory with no torn or broken film.</p>

<p>I used a method similar to Robert Milloy's. A business card is fully inserted into the film plane. The cassette and spool can then be inserted with the film behind the card. The card guides the film past the film gate. With the cassette and film fully inserted, withdraw the card. Removing the lens and opening the shutter is rarely necessary.</p>