since it's not that wide. I have found it to be an admirable

performer and fast.

My other wide is the 24mm 2.8, which might be out of your

budget and might be too wide, but again, a lovely piece of glass

with good overall performance.

Never tried the 28mm, but sounds like a good lens, and priced

right.

I have never been happy with any Canon consumer zooms, but

they might be OK for you and your needs.

For what it's worth......

Vivitar, Phoenix & Cosina all sell the same 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 zoom. Tokina and Tamron also sell 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 zooms. All of these can be had for less than $200.

The Prime lenses mentioned already are better lenses for sure, but these are all zooms that deliver nice pictures with reasonable sharpness & distortion control. Some people will not tolerate the cheap feeling construction of the Vivitar/Phoenix/Cosina, and none of them approach the image quality of a really good wide zoom, or any of the fixed length lenses, but they all deliver reasonable quality at a very good price.

The Tokina & Tamron versions are a bit more money, but are probably worth it, if only for the better feeling construction. Although I've never heard anyone say that the V/P/C version is actually unreliable. It just feels sloppy.

When I was in the same situation a few years ago I went with the 22-55. Looking back this wasn't the best choice. This lens is really the wide angle version of the kit lens 28-80s and similar. If you use a kit lens and it meets your standard then the 22-55 is nice and wide and nice and cheap.

If you'd like a little more (as I soon decided I did) I'd recommend finding a 2nd hand 24 as that lens is fantastic. Mine gets a lot of use.

Chris - I would definitely recommend the 24mm F2.8. You should be able to find one used in your price range. The 28mm F2.8 is also an excellent choice (and even a little less expensive). I would stick with a prime because it will force you to compose better shots, and it will also be faster than any zoom lens in your price range. Also, an earlier poster suggested the Canon 22-55mm lens. I've used this and I would suggest you stay away from it. If you really want a zoom lens, try the 20-35mm. In the end, your biggest decision is what focal length(s) you want most. Hope that helps.