Last-minute questions about the PowerShot S90

<p>I am about 99.9% sure I will be getting this hot little compact, I have done a ton of research and have been able to play with the camera. The only nagging question is concerning the provided software - Canon's DPP - does Version 3.8 come with the kit? Of course, the latest/greatest should be available as a download. I use Windows XP, seems I can use this package without any issues - can someone confirm this to the contrary if that's the case?</p>

<p>I need to know that this latest version has the ability to straighten horizons (I plan to shoot RAW for the most part) since I am far from being perfect. Yes, I could use a tripod, but who bothers doing so with a PS camera?</p>

<p>I've had my S90 since early March, and I run everything on Win XP. I don't remember exactly what the version number was for what was on the CD, but it's the full version of DPP, and latest at the time of production, same as you get with any EOS camera and with the G11. It's not a limited version for compacts. But of course, a CD in a box won't be the absolute latest update, so you have to download the updater from Canon once you've installed it. It's quick and easy. There are zero issues associated with running any of the software on XP, at least not that I've encountered, and I use raw files all the time. The only time I switch to JPEG only is when I need to take action shots in continuous shutter and servo AF modes. It's the only situation I've detected so far in which shooting raw slows the camera down.</p>

<p>Even the DPP version from the CD back in March had the ability to finely rotate the image. It's in the "trimming" tool. It's not a matter of being perfect or not, but you WILL need this ability, especially when shooting at the wide angle end of things. My guess about LCDs is that there's always that little lag between what the lens is pointed at and what you see on the display. It also doesn't take a heck of a lot of hand shaking or movement to get a slightly tilted horizon at the precise time the shutter clicks, no matter how hard you try not to.</p>

<p>The S90 is a very well-designed, pro-level camera. The tripod mount is all metal, and it's directly centered under the lens. Perfect. It's there if you need it, like for macros, but I don't personally carry even a mini tripod around with a pocket-sized camera.</p>

<p>Like I've said before in posts about it, it's got some significant advantages over even a DSLR if you take advantage of them. I mean, image-stabilized f/2.0 wide angle zoom... and with the small sensor, you get superb depth of field even at f/2. Contrary to popular misconception on internet forums for the review reader types, it's not unlimited DoF, but it's pretty good. It makes a huge difference for things like interior available light and night street shooting. This may not be a characteristic you want for portraits, but it can certainly be useful for many other kinds of shooting. It's a street shooters delight.</p>

<p>Get them while they're hot, because rumour has it that Canon will ruin a great thing by putting one of those lousy backlit CMOS sensors in the S95, probably only to satisfy the nitpickers and review authors on forums everywhere who absolutely must have HD video.</p>