Canon 150-600/5.6 L FD conversion? [Closed]

<p>I am considering going digital in the near future, and I am a proud owner of a Canon FD 150-600 f5,6 L series lens in good shape, Serial No. 10371. I was wondering if anyone knows if there has been any realistic conversions done for FD lenses to digital- <em>but not just using an adaptor!</em> Something integral, that doesn't change the focal length or telephoto abilities when converted to use on EOS bodies. I don't need AF, but the AE feature would be very helpful.<br>

This is not a new question, but the information I've found on this topic is fairly outdated. It's an exciting lens to use and is tack sharp. I'd hate to part with it just because I have to change formats! Perhaps some new idea has surfaced?</p>

<p>Well this is what Canon did with the 1200mmL lens. They took the old FD mount lens and changed them to EF mounts to resell, so its possible. I'd call Canon and see if they can do it on an individual basis, but I would bet if they even will do it that it would be more expensive than the lens is worth.</p>

<p>I would suspect that it is possible. A number of people with good mechanical ability and access to a machine shop have switched the FD mount on longer lenses for an EF compatible mount. Since the rear end of most telephotos is just a hollow tube, in principle it's not hard to do. You simply need to shorten it by around 2mm. The tricky part is probably working the the rather complex aperture control system of FD lenses so that you maintain the ability to change the aperture.</p>

<p>Whether you can find anyone who will do this commercially for you I don't know. Here are a couple of links that might help. One is a DIY project and the other is from someone who is/was offering to change the mount on certain FD lenses.</p>

<p>http://www.ganymeta.org/~darren/photo_f1.2_conversion.php</p>

<p>http://www.cameraserviceone.com/060100-conversion.php</p>

<p>One final thought. If the lens focuses "past" infinity as many telephoyo lenses do, then with the thinest possible mechanical adapter you might be able to focus out to a fairly long distance. It all depends on how far "past" infinity the lens can focus. If it allows the lens elements to move 2mm closer than they would be at infinity, they you have no worries. I doubt you'll have that much additional back focus, but it's worth a try. As i reported here - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html - with a 500mm f8 mirror lens in an FD mount mechanically adapted to an EOS body, I could focus out to 50ft.</p>

<p>RE: Double Posting; my apologies for this. It seemed to me that because this is a question I have regarding this lens in respect to converting from one design (FD) to the next (EOS) that the possibility existed that there would be seperate and different replies. This is due to my thought that EOS folks are probably no longer are interested in FD products, and FD fans are sticking to their guns, or have accomplished a satisfactory task in regards to my inquiry. Following that line of thinking, it occured to me that neither party would likely follow the other closely. Modernization of the equipment likely spawned two seperate, but closely related followings.<br>

As it has quickly shown as of this writing, the answers in each forum are both different and helpful. I will try hard to limit such double-posting in the future.<br>

And, in light of the request that the informational replies are properly shared, I would like to direct those interested parties to the FD Forum to follow this thread there.<br>

Thank you all very much; your information has spurred me in a new direction!<br>

</p>