Workflows combining LR, Aperture and Nik Software Plug-Ins

<p>I am just wondering whether anyone has created a workflow combining Adobe LR, Aperture and some of the Plug-Ins from Nik Software (DFine, Viveza v2, Color FX...). I know that you can perhaps accomplish any image editing with only one of these software products but I like the fact that there are unique 'ease of use' advantages in some of these that I would very much want to take advantage of.<br>

If there are people out there working in hybrid workflows; here are couple of questions;<br>

1) Which of the 2 (LR or Aperture) do you start with as your main repository for the initial import of RAW images from the camera and what are the 2-3 advantages of your choice over the other?<br>

2) If you are starting with Aperture how do you bring the other External Editors in to your workflow when Aperture only allows one-dedicated External Editor from within its Preference Setup?<br>

As always, thank you very much for your valuable insights...</p>

<p>1_i dont see the point at all of using Aperture + Lightroom.. for me its like using Keynote + PowerPoint, or Quark + Indesign...</p>

<p>2_I use Lr 3 to develop, catalogue, keyword etc.. my images. Most of my personal image are finished in Lr as i dont need to remove / add anything. For my pro work i send the file to Photoshop, not because of a special plugin like Nik or else.. just because i need the power of the retouching tool and the liquify filter ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p> For my limited purposes (occasional big prints) LR isn't sufficient by itself. Its sharpening seems to create moire sometimes, so I do that in PS. And I prefer PS brushes to LR, simply because they're more similar to traditional darkroom tools.</p>

<p> Mac users often rely on Lightroom...do any Wintel folks use Aperture? </p>

<p>LR will continue to make PS less necessary. Will Aperture then be abandoned?</p>

<p>recent study show that in 2009 theres is 4x Lr user vs Aperture.. Aperture not running on PC that could also be one of the reason.</p>

<p>As for your moiré problem John, i think you should try Lr 3 and take a quick 4min tutorial at www.lynda.com ; ) .... the new setting are so refine its scary (in a good way).</p>

<p>I to prefer to work in Photoshop im just use to it for the past 18years.. its hard to show a old dog (well 36years.. is not that old!) some new tricks LOL</p>

<p>36 is ancient. No worries though Patrick, you'll start to get younger in a few years :-)<br>

Isn't it best to do sharpening at a last stage? Doesn't that still point to PS, rather than LR, if I'm using PS for its brushes...no? yes?</p>

<p>its best to do a 3 step sharpening as explain in a Bruce Fraser book (somthing i do since a long time without knowing it was good ; )</p>

<p>1_ Capture Sharpening is applied early in the image-editing process, and just aims to restore any sharpness that was lost in the capture process. Done in Lightroom for example.<br /><br />2_ Creative Sharpening is usually applied locally to accentuate specific features in an image-for example, we often give eyes a little extra sharpness in head shots. I do it in Photoshop using mask, but can also be done in Ligthroom using brush.<br /><br />3_ Output Sharpening is applied to files that have already had capture and creative sharpening applied, after they've been sized to final output resolution, and is tailored to a specific type of output process. Done when you export or print your file in Lightroom, done in Photoshop when you know where and on what medium it will be print.. i only do a small amount of it before giving the file to the graphic designer or my client the photographer.</p>

<p>All the sharpening can be done in Lr or in PS, some say you are better to do the capture sharpening in Lr.. i normally do it in Ps as my first stage of retouching using the smart sharpen filter.</p>

<p>I thank you for your insights...I understand the overwhelming bias against LR and PS (especially for pro work) which I agree that might be the best tool. I am, however, an amateur and really don't have too much time to put into PS to become an expert. I have tried/evaluated Nik Software plug-ins such as Viveza v2 as well as Aperture v3 and I have to admit that I learned Masks, Layers...within a matter of hours not spending days. I am just trying to combine the best of these easy to use tools with a powerful LR, if possible...There are perhaps no die-hard Mac users with Mac only tools on this forum and perhaps not too many of you see the value of Nik Plug-ins which I understand but I am just curious if there is anybody in my shoes...Thank you all.</p>

<p>Nezih, if i was a amateur i would try to keep my life as simple as possible.</p>

<p>If you like Aperture + Nik, there is no need then to complicated your life and using Lr also...that would be very counter productive, and it will be really hard to work optimaly.</p>

<p>Or you use Aperture + Nik and be a expert at it. or you use Lightroom and learn how to use the tool corectly (quickly getting the concept that you dont need a Nik plugin to go with it.. )</p>

<p>And for your information, i am a die hard mac user that only use the mac software.. and i dislike Aperture since the first release 3-4 years ago.. let say they lose me in less then 1 hours with there version 1, and since then i didtn find anything other than the book creation tool that could make me switch from Lr... and a book creation tool is not enough indeed to make me regret aperture ; )</p>

<p>More Lightroom user mean more forum, more people, more book, more tutorial to help you...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Don't go away so fast, Nezih. i7 iMac + LR3 + Nik Complete Collection here. I've been using LR since v1 beta. I got Nik CC last fall and love it. Even with LR3, it's all very, very useful and I love the u-point interface.</p>

<p>LR's sharpening has gotten a lot better, as has their noise reduction, but it's still global-only. LR just can't do what Dfine and Sharpener Pro can. LR's adjustment brush can't do what Nik Viveza can and it's still a bit wonky at times, although I wish I could use Viveza as a brush. I wish Nik products had a 'grab-stretchy' marching ants border as well.</p>

<p>Silver Efex Pro is a B&W converter nonpareil. Color Efex rocks, and Viveza does, too. I like Nik's masking and inversion views of seeing local changes better than LR's red patch. I can't imagine going back to Lightroom without Nik.</p>

<p>I don't know Patrick, I've had both, and I think the conversion of raw files in Aperture has leaped past L.R. though I haven't tried LR 3 (must try the demo). But that's just me. It just seemed the files looked better, cleaner, higher dynamic range. Other than that, they both seem pretty much the same in use and features.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Mac users often rely on Lightroom...do any Wintel folks use Aperture?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Surely John you jest? Wintel folk can't use Aperture, just for Mactels.</p>

<p>Barry, until someone is using both correctly, i dont think one can make that assumption.. i have a friend who is specialized with Aperture, and im specialized with Lr.. whe took the same high end image and develop it.. same result in the end... same with Lr vs C1Pro (other than C1Pro have a better demoire filtering and lens corrections) Lr vs Nikon Capture.. same result in the end when BOTH software are use by someone who know how to work.</p>

<p>I think its more a personal choice, and the need for extra option that will make you or what should make you choose between A or B.</p>

<p>The point is still the same.. in the end, if i was starting in this crazy digital wolrd, i would use software that are vastly use across the globe, for instance Photoshop, Photoshop Element, Lightroom, Word, etc... not some free program without support or forum anyway ; )</p>

<p><em>"Surely John you jest? Wintel folk can't use Aperture, just for Mactels."</em> Barry F</p>

<p>Barry, Yes. I think Aperture has less than Lightroom future for that reason alone... just a thought. </p>

<p>Lots of Mac users rely on Lightroom and, as just as you said, no Wintel folks use Aperture. Therefore the odds of Aperture's longterm viability in the face of Lightroom's ongoing advances, as well as those of Wintel (eg 7) seem automatically more than 4::1 against.</p>

<p>Hoping this thread is still active and DB Cooper can describe a workflow in LR with Nik Complete.<br>

I'm new to digital coming from film and recently purchased LR 3.0 and Nik Complete (using iMac w/Epson 2880 printer). <br>

I'm pouring through Martin Evening's latest LR book and so far am pleased with the color and B&W results on luster paper.<br>

Any additonal advice on how to process images would be much appreciated (e.g., capture sharpening & exposure adjustments in LR; B&W conversion, color adjustments, noise reductions and local sharpening edits in Nik; and output sharpening in LR for print?).<br>

Thanks!</p>