pricing used canon cameras?

danzel_c

<p>camera stores currently don't advertise used cameras based on shutter count. since used camera buyers are stuck on that now will camera stores eventually have to? there's free software all over the web where anyone can find out the shutter count. all camera stores seem to advertise is a rating of 1-10 based on cosmetic appearance. i always see the same model camera priced the same and they surely can't have the same shutter count. are buyers on the street just using shutter count to lowball sellers on the street (ex. craigslist seller)? or are stores somehow factoring shutter count in with cosmetic appearance?</p>

<p>Shutter count is not necessarily the most important criteria to determine the price of a camera. Were we ever as obsessed with shutter count with film cameras? I don't think so. In many cases only Canon can determine the shutter count - like the 5D camera. There is no utility to read actuations.</p>

<p>Shutter's can be replaced!<br>

As Juergen indicated . . .<br>

"Shutter count is not necessarily the most important criteria to determine the price of a camera. We were never as obsessed with shutter count with film cameras" and they were probably more likely to <strong>not </strong>be replaced as easily/economical as in a digital body.</p>

<p>But outside of professional use, amateurs would have far fewer actuations with film than with a digital camera.<br>

After the initial outlay it is less expensive to run a digital camera (no 2Cr5s, film or processing) so folk use their DSLR more.<br>

Most amateurs using a film SLR would struggle to break a 50'000 rated shutter in their lifetime, other than putting their fingers through it.<br>

Although the shutter is far better protected from misuse, it will be subject to a lot more use.<br>

On a typical track day I'll shoot 400 on my 7D (with 8fps you can make sure you get the shot) on my film 3, with a similar frame rate (I have the PB-E1) I would maybe shoot 150 max.<br>

For cheaper bodies the labour cost of replacing the shutter then starts to outweigh the value of the camera.<br>

It might be worth replacing the shutter on a used 5D or 1DIIn, would you replace the shutter on a three year old rebel XTi?<br>

My XTi has been hammered, and it shows, so far no sign of the shutter playing up, but the grip is gummy, the control dial scored, the hotshoe paint messy, the viewfinder surround chipped...<br>

It's only worth paying top dollar from a shop if they offer a decent guarantee. Even a dog tired 10D or digtial rebel could outlast a 3 month warranty. After that, tough.<br>

Given that most shops buy in used gear at under half what they sell it for, there is the margin to soak up the odd lemon they sell on. There is more money in used gear than new gear, so long as the shop keeps ahead of the trend. <br>

Like mileage on a car, it isn't the be all and end all, overall condition will tell you if the camera has been looked after or not.</p>

<cite>Were we ever as obsessed with shutter count with film cameras?</cite>

<p>Let me give you an example. When I had a film camera, I used to shoot one or two 36-exposure rolls at an air show or at the zoo. Since I went digital and there's no cost for buying or developing each shot, I shoot something like 300-500 frames in a similar situation. I probably put more shots on my camera each year than I would have done in a decade in the film days. I suspect something similar applies to many other users as well.</p>

<p><em>> I suspect something similar applies to many other users as well.</em><br>

Perhaps, but there are exceptions: most pro shooters actually shoot less with digital than with film. In the good old times of film, one would shoot several rolls per each scene (esp. on far-flung and/or expensive assignments) to make sure that the shot was in the can and that if one roll is ruined in transport/processing there is always another one to the rescue. With digital one tends to shoot less because each shot is easily viewed/verified, esp. when shooting tethered, and we tend to multiply back up devices instead of shooting multiple takes of the same scene "for safety." <br>

But, of course, average pros tend to shoot more than average amateurs so this evens up.</p>