Printing Size and Format

oh_navi

<p>I got a 12R (12'x18x) print from a JPG file yesterday and notice pixel zig-zag pattern at round subjects. The JPG file was converted from RAW with the highest quality. The photo was taken by 40D in RAW.<br>

Is 12R close to the limit of printing for a 40D?<br>

Will printing from RAW directly offer better quality? Is there any printing shop that accept RAW? I'm in Brisbane. What about printing via a home canon or other printers in RAW format?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've made many 11x14 and 12x18 prints with my 40D and they look great. I'm sure you can go even bigger with a sharp image and skillful processing. I'm guessing you made a mistake somewhere in the process: maybe grossly over sharpened or down rezzed too much. </p>

<p>If you used an online lab sometimes the upload default is to compress and down rez your file for a 4x6 print (e.g., Costco). You have to check "highest quality" or full "resolution" prior to upload, or else your 12x18 will look like it came out of a camera phone...</p>

<p>You can't print in RAW format. It's just RAW data and no printer can read it. You have to convert to TIFF or JPEG for most printers.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Whatever software you're using, or misusing... is the source of the problem, nothing to do with the file per se. As Puppy Face illustrates, print size today approaches a non-issue. 20 x 30's from an old Canon 10D produced superb results in the past; today's better Raw-converters hold capability to produce even better. Raw processing is not simple, the multitude of controls available. Work on learning to use your Raw software, ideally find someone locally who can guide you if you're in over your head... and your questions suggest you are. Raw processing is not a "magic bullet," and the interaction of the many controls available demand practice to develop the necessary skills. Possibly find someone who uses your same software and upload to them one of your files, see what results occur, and why they came back without sharpening issues et al.</p>

<p>oh navi - the information you provided gives little lead nor provides any ability to issue an opinion, suggestions that might improve. etc. (DPP I do not use.)<br>

Suggestion: on a one-time basis if you'll forward your original Raw file to me I'll do the raw-conversion and run it through multiple post-processing software to bring it up to professional standards. (LR3, CS5 plus a very specialized custom sharpening tool called dSLR Fractals Sharpening ( http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/dSLR_Fractal_Sharpen.html ). The latter is by far the best program in its field for sharpening. Though it is very inexpensive it unfortunately also requires PhotoShop + onOne Software's General Fractals plug-in for dSLR to function.<br>

Keep in mind that if you attempt to forward a Raw file that exceeds 10K in file-size most service providers will not accept it; you may have to use a (free) service such as YouSendIt.com for file-delivery. I'll return to you a professionally-processed Jpeg file suitable for printing at 12 x 18<br>

Last step - remember: even the "perfect" image file can be screwed up by the printing service... and this may be the source of your problems. You (your file) and the printing service have to be 100% compatible, color profiles, etc. Likewise, you monitor properly adjusted (color balanced, etc.)<br>

The variables are many; any one can mess up the end result. But the starting point is always the high-quality image submitted... either it is, or it isn't.</p>