Best book for beginner

<p>Hi!<br>

Having had a false start with my original dSLR back in December, I have now spent three weeks with my 'new' Canon EOS 400d, a camera that I am very pleased with so far.<br>

I have had a play with it based on reading I have done on the internet and understand about DoF, shutter speeds and so on, but would still like a book that takes you through some of the techniques and offers tutorials on progressively more advanced features and techniques.<br>

Can you recommend anything? I have a couple of books - I can't remember the name of the author - but it's the series where it's as if you are out on a shoot with him and he explains the settings used to achieve the results etc.</p>

<p>Anyhow - any advice & recommendations gratefully received.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Barnaby,<br>

I was very happy with Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" when I started (successfully turned my camera's manual mode from foe to friend). It describes the basics very well and inncludes good advise on certain photography situations/challenges. Check it out to see if it suits you.<br>

Timm</p>

<p>Barnaby,</p>

<p>Now that I see the 3 questions that you have going on his forum . . . .</p>

<p><em><strong>The best book for you right now is the User's Manual!</strong></em><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

Use the link that Mark Kissel provided on your B&W problems post, or here. Thanks Mark!<br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0900000357/01/EOSDRXTi400DIM-EN.pdf" target="_blank">http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0900000357/01/EOSDRXTi400DIM-EN.pdf</a></p>

<p> It would be a good idea to not only save this .pdf file to your computer, but also to hard print a copy to keep with you in your camera bag until you become completely familiar with the XTi.</p>

<p>It will answer many of your questions!</p>

<p>Best wishes,</p>

<p>National Geographic publishes "field guide" books on photography. They are well written and accompanied by good photographs. These are excellent books. I might also suggest you get a book or two that will also inspire your eye. Perhaps Henri Cartier-Bresson, Andre Keresz, Eugene Atget, Joel Meyerowitz, or Elliott Porter, depending on your interests. Good luck with your photography!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice - I have now read my user's manual and left sticky tabs at pages that I would like to refer to whilst out and about. Off to look on the internet for some books! I will stop posting anything that can't be answered by the manual now ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A great read which you can probably still buy used and cheap are the two Kodak books the first was the joy of photography and the second more joy of photography. You will still need something to help with digital as these books are for 35mm film but they are still probably the best beginner sources for understanding lighting, exposure, composition, DOF etc... I suspect that you can buy them for less than $5 from Amazon</p>

<p>Apart from the great books suggested by the others, I'd also recommend checking out some magazines. I got this magazine for my mother last week called Getting Started in Digital SLR Photography, it's got all the basics in there from the technical aspects to composure and some other stuff about lighting techniques and some basic information about how lenses and shutters work etc... Most of the stuff in the there is available on the net but it's nice to have them all in one mag that you can carry around and read on your way to work or while you're on the toilet... Lots of photography magazines have special beginners issues but make sure to skim through them before you buy because some, like another magazine i bought, seem to have more adverts for products than actual photographic advice. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have finished my first read-through of Understanding Exposure, and am now re-reading parts and doing the practical exercises with my camera to get practical experience of it too.<br>

We've just got back from a camping weekend and I already have better photos of basic landscape shots using the 'Mr. Green Jeans' technique. Love it!</p>