Back- up camera for a 5DII

hop_phan

You can pick up a 20D for $400 or less. It's a great camera and won't let you down A lot of pros are still using these as there main camera.

I have one I use just for fun stuff, because the 1Ds Mk3's are so are heavy. I also have one that got converted to B&W allowing tree leaves and stuff to look really bright. Infared conversion.

The cameras you listed above are great. The ISO (ASA) are very high. You could shoot these cameras at 1600 all day long. Mainly the 7D.

I also like Dieter's suggestion of a 5D. That would be my first choice, if it's in your budget.

<p>Thanks for answering.</p>

<p>With those lenses I would buy the 7D.</p>

<p>The 7D and the 5DMkII make a very powerful kit and keep the High ISO / Low Light capacity as well as utilizing the efficiencies of dual format - which I maintain is a great benefit for a Wedding and Events kit.</p>

<p>Should the 5D MkII go down you could continue with the 7D and 24-70 or 16-35 as you main working zoom.</p>

<p>You are deficient in a Wide and Fast Prime, but that might not concern you depending upon what type of venues you find yourself.</p>

<p>The 50/1.4 is the fastest and shortest lens you have: in this regard you need to consider if that is adequate if the 5DMkII goes down and you only have the 7D to use and you are inside a Church with no Flash Rule – by that logic if you have decided that a 50/1.4 is OK for ALL your needs on a 5DMkII then I would have something like a 35/2 (inexpensive) or the 24L (my choice) as insurance for the 7D . . .</p>

<p>On the other hand – with the 7D’s ISO capacity the 16 to 35 used on the 7D might be enough for any NO FLASH work – it depends on the type of venue you work.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>We carry 50Ds as backups. The benefits of the 7D over the 50D don't justify the price in my mind, especially as a backup and with how much the 50D has dropped in price. With the extra cash pick up a Sigma 30 1.4 which is as close to a 50mm as you can get on a crop after the conversion. I keep the 50D as my walk around camera and it nearly always has the 30mm on it. I've also read mixed reviews on whether or not the ISO handling on the 7D is really all that better than the 50D although the focusing is supposed to be superior to even the 5D. But really, unless you're planning on using it a lot, the 50D would be a wiser use of money IMO unless of course you have a need for covering sports as well.</p>

<p>I'd definitely advise against any Rebel. The layouts are so different from a the prosumer and up that it's hard to make changes on the fly if you're trying to shoot two cameras at once. I've tried using a rebel as a backup and found that I had to relearn how to get to different functions each time I went back to it.</p>