Saturation of the images

ruslan

<p>Years ago Kodak Partrait was used for weddings, it was tender and delicate for colors, but now there is a trend of delivering <strong>vivid, saturated</strong> photos like ones in <strong>glossy fashion magazines</strong>. What do customers want? What do you think?</p>

<p>There are several.<br>

I think one of the current trend tends to lean toward those faded/yellowish/sunsetty/vintage type of look.</p>

<p>I kind of hate it, but if that's what the customers want..that's what I'll do.</p>

<p>I've mentioned this before ... I wonder how all these trendy looks will go over later? Or will it be "What was I thinking" : -)</p>

<p>If I do anything like that (rarely), it's a supplemental image next to the "real one" ... </p>

<p>The vivid look is trendy these days, exactly like Kodak Portra was trendy ten years ago. I think few "special EFX" versions can be included next to "pure and true" pictures and, if possible, to some postprocessing that expresses yourself and your personal interpretation more than the last minute trends. Anyway, as long as your Customers are looking for high-end services, you can't rely on the vogue merely.</p>

<p>All one needs to do to see what's "trendy" these days is look at the facebook pages of your clients and see how they've mangled the photos you've given them.<br>

Many are converted to B&W, faces are cropped out, cheesy borders, outlandish glowing vignettes etc...<br>

I usually stop looking when I run across one of mine with a cute poetry blurb across the bottom.</p>

<p>Let's face it: everything we photograph now is trendy, not just the image colors. Hair styles, dresses (I see so many guests these days wearing incredibly short mini-things to weddings that they have NO business wearing...). All will be out of style in a few years. I told a bride she might want a few photos without her very trendy glasses and she was reluctant. In 20 years there will be WAY more regrets over tatoos than sepia (and the former can't be changed with a click).<br>

Color in general in photography is a moving target. Just pick up any photo book from the 70s, 80s, or 90s and tell me how many still look current. A wedding is a snapshot in time. How many among us would go back and modernize the photos from our past? Would you change your silly hair style from '79? Get rid of the ugly sweater? Change our biggie glasses or sunglasses? It's all part of the charm of our past.<br>

I think the only style that's timeless is B&W.</p>

<p>There have been trendy black and white looks. One of them was too print very high contrast washing out the skin to almost paper white only showing just a enough to tell subject had a nose and mouth. very similar to one of three trendy looks I see now in color. I think some of the trendy looks are to hide the photographers lack of ability to accurately render an image.</p>