problem - lower 3/4 of shot black?

nick_stragnell

<p>By no means an expert, but if all your photos come out this way, then my guess would be possibly a sticky shutter curtain in the body. Don't think it would be a lens problem. I don't think a sticking blade in the lens would be as "horizontal" as this appears to be.</p>

<p>What happens if you take a shot with the camera in the vertical position?</p>

<p>Almost certainly a shutter issue, the second curtain has "caught up" with the first which would indicate that the first curtain is sticking. Basically when shutters operate, except at speeds below flash sync speed, a slot between the curtains scans evenly across the sensor. The width of this slot determines the effective shutter speed. This is why there is a flash sync speed, it means that the slot fully opens so that the high speed flash covers the whole sensor area. Unfortunately this is not a problem you can fix for yourself, you could try repeatedly firing the shutter at various speeds to see if the curtain will free itself. Otherwise it's a trip to the repair shop, or buy another used body. That may be cheaper!</p>

<p>Thanks Tony, I will be upgrading now - it's not worth spending more money than the camera is worth to fix it - but I have to say this 300 has been an incredible work horse over the years. I've worked in Video production for years and have been using this 300 to make time-lapse films, so thousands upon thousands of images for any project. It's done well and paid for itself 100 times over - I even got it from ebay in the first place.<br>

I'm thinking a 7D is probably about in my price range - but this time a new one.</p>

<p>Just a note to people who are embedding a jpg in the text of their post<br>

[as here<br>

"view-source:http://www.3ofme.co.uk/photos/IMG_3592.JPG">http://www.3ofme.co.uk/photos/IMG_3592.JPG" ]<br>

these often load late, poorly, or sometimes apparently not at all depending on the state of the source.<br>

If you use the regular in-line display of these small images it will work better for some of us anyway.<br>

I don't know where the problem is, perhaps with the way Photo.net handles these embedded images?</p>

<p>If every shot is coming out like this, then this definitely looks like like a mirror issue- the early Rebels were definitely prone to this (mine died the same way after around 50k shots). Canon uses a small pin fixed to the side of the mirror box to flip the lower mirror up against the upper mirror when a shot is taken. This pin- made of plastic- will eventually break off. In a pinch, you can manually force up the smaller focusing mirror and use the camera in manual focus. The mirror is fixed such that it will stay flush against the larger mirror if pushed up like that. Again, expensive and probably not worth fixing (although there are some very involved surgery instructions involving a paperclip and superglue available online if you are so inclined to try it).<br>

Sorry for your loss. Hope this helps!</p>