New Hotshoe Flash?

tim_debo

<p>Hey guys a couple of weeks ago during my mindless internet perusing while wasting time I came across an article about a new hotshoe flash with a colored touchscreen display. Since one of my flashes died last night I wanted to look into this more except I can't remember where I found it or who makes it, has anyone else seen this? I think the name of the manufacturer started with an A if that helps.. I know this is a longshot but I've been going nuts trying to remember where I seen it.. Thanks!</p>

<p>Frank, While I agree that a basic knowledge of what is and isn't compatible with one's tools is important to protect your investments why limit yourself?</p>

<p>Are you saying I can't use my AlienBees because they are not Canon? that I can't put a pocket wizard in my hotshoe? what about my old Vivitar manual flashes which are easier to waterproof than my 580s?</p>

<p>Or my first 580 clone by sigma which has more features than the Canon?</p>

<p>Also, Like Parv said.<br>

http://www.digitalfunstuff.com.au/images/nissin_di866.jpg<br>

has a neato display with nifty buttons, USB connectivity, multiple flashes (what? why? neat? maybe?)</p>

<p>Does that look familiar?</p>

<p>Of course you can do all of that, but do not expect the greatest results from latest flash technology advances and automation, especially in multi-flash setup.</p>

<p>If you have flash shooting expertise, then you can get even better results from manual flashes.</p>

<p>However, if someone asks questions here, we should not expect expertise, and the best bet is to stick to what is the original camera/flash recommendation, to avoid troubles.</p>

<p>About Nissin... too many complaints from more advanced flash users were aready reported...subject how advanced you want to go with it.</p>

<p>Tim, your question intrigued me, and I searched and searched and struck out. I hope you find it. I suppose it's a matter of time before color touchscreen show up on mainstream shoe flashes. It'd take a certain amount of real estate on the back of the flash to do it, but it'd beat finding and pushing little buttons or wheels to navigate the option menus...might even make it more straightforward than scrolling around. I'll keep an eye out.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>'If you have flash shooting expertise, then you can get even better results from manual flashes."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? With hotshoe flashes? How so, exactly? In my experience, manual flashes won't do a thing my Nikon CLS flashes won't. As a matter of fact, CLS will do a few things manual flashes can't.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"However, if someone asks questions here, we should not expect expertise, and the best bet is to stick to what is the original camera/flash recommendation, to avoid troubles."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If someone asks a question here, we should stick to answering it. If you read the OP, it's obvious the guy's used flashes before, and if you look at his photo.net portfolio, it's obvious he's pretty good with a camera, too.</p>

<p>This is the Lightning Forum, not the Beginner Forum, and not everyone here is getting their first flash for their new Dxxx or Rebel. I have some expertise, and if I ask a question about a shoe-mount flash, I'm after the information for a good reason, even if it's self-edification. I sure wouldn't want to be told to stick with what Nikon offers - I already have a good amount of OEM lighting gear (<em>and</em> a good bit of other lighting gear). Maybe the OP does, too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Frank, The OP asked a question.<br>

Most of us have tried to help him find the answer.</p>

<p>All you've done so far is tell him to go read his manual.</p>

<p>Is that the point of these forums?</p>