Fill Flash for D5000 and SB600

mark_norman

<p>I'm new to this configuration and would like to use the SB600 to fill in shadows in bright sunlight or otherwise daylight shots under a tent. So far my shots have been a little washed out or have a white tint. I've set the D5000 to "P" program mode and the SB600 to TTL balanced flash. <br>

Any suggestions on how I can set up the camera to produce more natural "not harsh" shots? <br /><br />Thanks very much.<br>

Mark</p>

<p>When under the tent you can angle the flash upwards bouncing it off the tent ceiling. You can also use a diffusion dome on the SB600. And if the flash is "harsh", turn it down some. I'm not sure about the "white tint". Make sure you've got the white balance set correctly, shoot it RAW and tweek the image in ViewNX.</p>

<p>mark, the sb-600 is sometimes overpowering--i've found the sb-400 actually gives much more consistent fill in daylight.</p>

<p>there are a few things you can do, besides bouncing.<br>

1) make sure auto-ISO is off; set ISO to 200.<br>

2) dont shoot in P mode; shoot instead in M or S; set FP value; make sure you have a fast enough shutter to reduce flash output; voila!<br>

3) dial down flash value in iTTL mode to negative compensation<br>

4) go into manual mode with flash; dial it down to 1/2; if your pics are still washed out, dial down further until pleasant results are obtained.<br>

5) try using an orange warming gel in bright sunlight. you can tape it to the flash.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>4) go into manual mode with flash; dial it down to 1/2</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll second Eric's #4 advice.</p>

<p>Program mode & iTTL used together often produce unpredictable results until you become intimately familiar with your system.</p>

<p>There are cookbook approaches to this scenario which work, but I can't offer guidance w/o actually being there to see the lay of the land.</p>

<p>In the most general of terms, this sort of shot asks that YOU meter your subject, reduce the meter reading by a half to one f/ stop and have manual flash fill in the shadows. Bounce is usually a better alternative to straight on.</p>

<p>Posting a picture of the issue will help. If the image shot without flash is fine, but with fill is overexposed (harsh?) - check your *flash compensation* on your camera body and flash itself. I can't say anything about P mode as I haven't used that since.... ever... but in A or M, iTTL Balanced flash is amazing. I have a feeling nikon has found a way to ignore the laws of physics*.</p>

<p>I'd second manually setting your iso with flash, but I cannot understand how setting a flash to half power will help, without knowing the aperture and subject distance.</p>

<p>Also, make sure your metering mode is not set to spot meter - unless you know what you're doing. I've had friends have issues because of that.</p>

<p>Try:<br>

Zero your flash compensation (body and flash) and exposure comp (body)<br>

Aperture priority, to an aperture you want to shoot at.<br>

Adjust ISO *manually* to get a shutter speed you are comfortable with for that shot.<br>

Turn on flash and shoot!</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>*j/k</p>

<p>Hey Mark. I own and use both the SB-600 and the D5000. I've learned a few things the hard way.<br>

1) Watch your white balance. I always shoot in RAW these days as the automatic white balance on the D5000 can get it very wrong. And remember, if your flash is overpowering the daylight, it will give you that colourshift you speak of. I find when shooting indoors with various lighting it is worth the effort to do a preset white balance.<br>

2) Try turning your flash down. Even in Balanced flash mode, (fill flash) I have found that often I get better results in dropping the flash level by 1 or 2 EV. Take time to experiment.<br>

3) when you can, bounce your flash. It gives a far more natural coverage. And the Stofen is a really good buy.</p>