My FD lens on my Yashica fx-d

jason_linch

<p>One of the reasons FD lenses are so inexpensive for the high quality they represent is that it is very difficult to adapt them to any non-FD system. Aside from buying an FD body or two, the best adaptations are probably the ones with removable optics for the EOS cameras. They can be used without the adapter lens for close-up work, and with the adapter optics for, unfortunately, somewhat compromised regular pictures.</p>

<p>Another alternative is the Four Thirds system cameras for which there are relatively inexpensive adapters for FD lenses. The M4/3 flange focal distance is only 38.67mm, meaning that potentially just about any 35mm-film lens could be adapted to it (but always at an equivalent focal length of 2X).<br>

<br /> But not FD on a Yashica. Here are the flange focal distances from Bob Atkin's discussion at <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html">link</a><br /> Yashica FR, FX = 45.5 mm<br /> Canon (FD and earlier)= 42.0 mm</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Best use of FD lenses is on FD cameras - or as stated before with an adapter without (!!) lens - probably without infinity on super tele lenses or with only mako usage. 4/3 camera are a option too - but I do not like that because ~3/4 of the corrected and intended image field is lost.<br /> I think - my opinon - the best way is a lens conversion. It is not easy on most Canon FD lenses, but for some lenses it is worth. Not all lenses work with every camera (mirror clearance)!<br /> I use 4 FD lenses on my EOS DSLRs. For Yashica it should be possible too for some FD lenses, but better check before.</p>