Help Needed Choosing a Neck/Shoulder Camera Strap, Please

dbcooper

<p>Summer has arrived, and my UpStrap isn't working out well for me in the hot weather. Designed not to slip, the hard rubber pad with molded cleats digs in an gets downright uncomfortable if I use it for a shoulder strap for long periods with a lightweight shirt, and painful if used as a neck strap if I'm wearing wear a t-shirt.</p>

<p>I'd like to find a strap with quick-release that's very well made, reasonably comfortable, and would securely hold a D700 with up to an 80-400 zoom on it (I love the Kevlar attachment loops and stout QR latches on the Upstrap). My preference is a strap without swivels.</p>

<p>Black Rapid is not on the short list because I use 'L' brackets and like to be able to get a camera on a tripod with minimal fuss. Op/Tech looks like the frontrunner at the moment. I wish I could remember the brand name of the strap where the pad stays in place but the strap is designed to slip to facilitate bringing the camera up to shooting position from the hip.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>I too use the Upstrap on most of my cameras. I have a OP/Tech strap which is very comfortable , but with a heavy camera and lens on it, has the tendency to bounce as you walk, which I find irritating. The Domke Gripper is a little wider than a up strap and I tape the openings on the swivels with a little black gaffers tape for security. </p>

<p>I have an Op/Tech pro loop strap that's worked very well for me. I like the "stretch", the non-slip, the detachable segment (w/qr attachments) and it's inconspicuous look. Didn't cost a lot either. I'll budget one for any camera I buy in the future.</p>

<p>For what it's worth I use an L-bracket on my D700 and still use the Black-Rapid R-strap. My L-bracket (from Really Right Stuff) has a tripod socket on the bottom, so I screw the R-strap brad into that. It unscrews quite rapidly when I want to put the camera on the tripod. If you really wanted to, and didn't mind the extra weight you could put a quick release clamp on the R-strap and use it that way. With the 80-400 you could attach the R-strap to the bottom of the camera or to the lens --- either way should work. Even with the 200/2 I found I could attach the R-strap to the bottom of the camera, although with a lens that heavy, it's better to attach it to the lens' own tripod socket. As you can tell, I really like the R-strap, and I find it's quite compatible with using an L-bracket and a tripod's quick release system, as long as your L-bracket as a threaded hole on the bottom.</p>

• 8 months later...
<p>I just bought the op tech utilty strap..for $24.00 its a steal. It also adapts to my other op tech strap so when I don't want the shoulder strap I unclip and put my everyday strap on. I like it because you don't have to attach it to the tripod mount as the other manufacturers do..as in sunsniper and rapid. Great product and they have a vidoe on their site shows you how to use it.</p>