Nikon LS-4000/ Any rollfeed users?

karl_knize

I've been thinking about the LS-4000 plus rollfeed adapter to

create thumbnails, customized proof sheets/books, etc., for my

business. If anyone out there is using it, I'm wondering how it

maintains frame spacing and if the software will allow you to

automatically number files in sequence.

Have you checked the price? - it's about 1/2 the cost of the scanner last time I enquired. I use an old flatbed Agfa which has an A4 lightbox and I scan the whole roll in one to make a digital contact sheet ( the frame numbers get scanned as well). The Epson 2450photo will do 3 strips of 6 at a time and I saw somone talking about a real cheapo film scanner which could do whole rolls on this BB a while back. All these alternatives are cheaper than the Nikon film feeder. As for numbering - Photoshop has a contact sheet feature which places images on a sheet with their file names. As for the LS4000 - it's a very good scanner on it's own -perhaps a whisker behind the Canoscan 4000 in sharpness terms but it's extra density capability, variable brightness light source and software make it No1 for scanning negs IMO.

I was the one talking about the "cheapo". If your intent is to get proofs only, at reasonable quality, there is a "cheapo" that is supposed to do 3600dpi and have a built in roll film holder. Its the Pacific Image 3600 - selling for $469 at B&H or $399 elsewhere on the net.

For that price, it might be worth it to get one for batch scanning, because the scanner is cheaper and faster than Nikons batch attachment alone.

The LS4000ED is a suberb scanner for the price especially the ICE software which saves a lot of time. No problem with frame spacing so far. I don't think it can directly print thumbnails though.

The roll feeder, for up to 40 frames, is convenient to use and works very well except for the other end dangling all the way to the floor (no take up spool).

Does anyone know a way to splice film to use in the roll feeder? I have hundreds of film cut by the shops to 6 frame pieces.