Cleaning OM-1 lens/mirror?

<p>So i've finally purchased my first classic slr film camera, Olympus OM-1n. It was a decent value on ebay with everything seeming to work. The only thing is that the lens is smudgy externally and dusty internally. What is the best way to clean the lens, viewfinder, and if possible the mirror?</p>

<p>NEVER EVER TOUCH THE SURFACE OF THE MIRROR. Like the mirrors in your eye-doctor's office that say "Do not clean" on them, the camera mirrors are FRONT surfaced. The <em>fragile</em>, thin reflecting surface is on the surface, not on the other side of the class as in a bathroom mirror.<br /> Use air from a squeeze blower (often called "rocket" blowers after the Giotto ones) only. If the blower doesn't do it, consider getting professional help. Do <strong>not</strong> use canned air (propellant can spritz out onto the mirror and leave spots) and do not blow on it with your mouth (spit spots!), even the "hah" way of blowing is risky and never go "phooey" on it or it will end up all spitty just like the birthday cake with the blown out candles.<br /> What you CAN do:<br /> The lens and external parts of the viewfinder can be cleaned with soft, well and long-laundered <em>cotton</em> cloths with a little lens cleaner put <em>on</em> the cloth. Never pour cleaner fluid or a solvent directly onto a lens or anything else. Use the cleaning cloth to apply it. Some lens coatings on older lenses (some of the Angénieux line come to mind) will easily be damaged by overenthusiastic rubbing. Never use force, gentle is the motto here. Use lens cleaner not some caustic or acid household cleaning solvent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The focus screen is easily removeable, you can take it out, wash it with warm water and mild detergent stand it on edge to dry and then reinstall. You should be able to find an owners or instruction manual online. If not let me know and I can scan that page and send it to you. By the way, you made a good choice. I would have a look at the light seals and if they need replacing, you can get them from ebay seller interslice (if you want to do it yourself), or you may also want to consider a complete CLA. I can highly recommend Garry Airepetov of Garry's Camera. He has done my OM1, OM1N, SRT Super and an SRT201, he does excellent work for around $45 bucks plus shipping. That's <a href="http://www.garryscamera.com">www.garryscamera.com</a> if you want to check out his site.</p>

<p>The dust inside a lens or VF, is tough to self repair, unless you're capable, and have done this before. I'd find a used lens with less dust, rather than pay to have one professionally cleaned & repaired. Normal lenses for OM cameras, sell for small money now days.</p>

<p>Remember too that mirrors and viewfinders, are not part of the image forming optics. Sometimes a little dust or marks upon them is best ignored. Also a small amount of dust ( a few specs) within a lens doesn't have a huge negative effect on the images. Wall to wall dust inside a lens, will degrade images though. But how much? Often not enough to be detectable by eye.</p>

<p>I think the lens has quite of bit of mold in it. The mirror has stuff around its edges and maybe a little mold i'm not sure. I was gonna try to clean the lens and see how the pictures turn out. If they don't turn out well i'll probably just invest in another lens. How much does stuff on the mirror affect the picture quality?</p>

<p>I believe mirrors can be cleaned with the proper solution. John at Camtech (www.zuiko.com) cleans the mirror and viewfinder optics as part of a CLA and also converts the OM-1 and 1n to use a silver oxide battery and still meter correctly. If you plan to keep the camera his charge for service is a good investment.</p>

<p>""How much does stuff on the mirror affect the picture quality?""</p>

<p> "<strong>mirrors and viewfinders, are not part of the image forming optics". The mirror and viewfinder are there only so you can frame and focus. The mirror flips out of the light path during the actual exposure. Which is why your VF goes dark, the mirror covers the focus screen.<br /></strong></p>