Wedding Critique of the Week 6/21/10

picturesque

<p>This week's image was taken by Rusla Safin.<br /><br />This is Part 2 of Wedding Photo of the Week. You can see all submissions in the thread with that title.In your critiques - include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is.<br /><br />Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br /><br />The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- you may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.</p><div>00WjIt-253911584.jpg.b6466f902306d19dd58e03460f4f4c4d.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you, colleagues!:) from left to right: so to say the maid of honour or "witness" as called in Russia, the bride, the best man or "witness", the groom. It is a custom when groom and best man come to bride's place to pay her out and then agreed drink champaign that the best man opens. That kind of moment is full of unexpected gestures so i know i should be ready. <br>

William, i think it is a wedjournalism because it is not posed or staged!:) you, in your turn, made me smile!:)<br>

Melissa, i like the expressions too. :)</p>

<p>I really like the moment, the frozen action of the champaign, and the expressions. I think I'd prefer the image in color (to highlight the red sashes) and I'd pass on the sloppy border for this image. This is also one of the few images where I won't complain about the blown highlights or the lack of details in the shadows....спасибо вам.</p>

<p>Love it, love it, love it!<br>

There are staged, technically perfect shots and then there is the quick eye! Having both skills are certainly required for wedding photography and you have captured a wonderful moment. For a photojournalistic shot it has everything - action, expression, composition - and it tells a story all by itself.<br>

I like the added edge although it would look great without it.</p>

<p>Simon, you are a risky person since the effect is quite headachable!:)<br>

Laurel, thanks thanks thanks!:)<br>

Nadine, i did a series of shutter release (4 or 5) since the moment the foam had appeared out of the bottle (if i have understood you correctly).:)</p>

<p>Rusla, thanks for your answer. I thought later that you might have shot a burst of images. I don't think this way since I am used to shooting film a frame at a time (medium format). I now sometimes use a burst, but it isn't the first thing I think of. Do you mind posting the series you shot--maybe the frames next to each other like a filmstrip (all in one image post) so we can see the progress?</p>

<p>Nadine, i usually sort the right pics out and delete the left-outs. I will dig into back-up and figure out if there are more pics of the moment, no problem...:)<br>

Nadine, you shoot weddings with medium format? woooooow! and i used to shoot Medium format (Rolleiflex TLR), but personally found it more relative to static scenes. But i LOVE it - the plasticity of the image i get. It is awesome.:)</p>

<p>Yes, Rusla. That would be great. I no longer shoot weddings with medium format, but used to up until 2005 (can you believe it?). I am very good at cranking that film winder, but certainly not as fast as a burst of shots on a DSLR. So I had to be good at timing the shutter release.</p>

<p><strong><em>"I am very good at cranking that film winder, but certainly not as fast as a burst of shots on a DSLR. So I had to be good at timing the shutter release."</em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

[Aside if I am allowed:]<br>

<br>

. . . it is amazing how on the completion of the downward stroke of the crank handle the right index finger was perfectly placed over the shutter release, the crank handle being wedged in the groove of the thumb - when the end of the cranking was felt - the shutter was good to go.<br>

<br>

About ¾ second for the while circular stroke, providing about 3 frames, sometimes 4 frames per every 5 seconds, if necessary. <br>

<br>

Typically the zone would already be laid for focus – or one would be walking backwards to keep the constant shooting distance and the shutter would be released at waist level, (at least for me), as using a waist level finder was quicker for rapid shooting, than using the eyelevel viewfinder. <br>

<br>

The motor drive was very noisy but it was really big and looked very “Professional” – not nice for inside the Church though and not any quicker, either.<br>

<br>

2005 was a good year.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>Nadine, i just shoot when i feel right, a premonition or prefeeling of something about to happen. Be fast and ready and numerous, and that's unfortunately not about the film.... to my biggest regret!</p>

<p>William, 2005 was a good year for Argentina and Toscana wines. :) and say hello! to Nadine immediately! :)</p>

Nadine, though I use nikon d700 and i love it i still have to regret it is slow as other slr's. No way to compare to tlr or my leica

rangefinder that goes off instantly as you press the shutter. But it is all concerning a single shot.:) well now I think I will

secretly shake the bottle to make unexpected wonderful foam!:)

<p>This is a great photo, perfectly captured. You have great reflexes, and I wouldn't change anything about the photo itself. My only complaint would be the grungy border. I think it's a little trendy, and in a few years is going to be as dated as selective colouring is today. If it weren't for the gimmicky border, this photo would be perfect, in my opinion.</p>

<p>That said, all that really matters is that the couple likes it. :)</p>