OM-1 frame overlap question

matthew_newton

<p>On a recent roll of film two of the pictures overlapped on the negatives by maybe 3mm or so. All of the other pictures on the roll and properly spaced (about 2-3mm apart, equal spacing on all) around frame 28-29. Is this simply a fluke in the mechanism slipping this once or the film somehow binding and causing it to slip? Or is this indicative of a problem that is likely to continue to occur and/or get worse.</p>

<p>I haven't seen it occur before on any of the maybe 40-60 rolls of film I have put through this camera over the last couple of years. I haven't finished off the roll of film that is currently in the camera, so I haven't been able to check to see if this is occuring still.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Sounds like it might have been an issue with how I loaded it. I rarely load the film like you mentioned, but I think that is how I loaded this roll.<br />Turns out I am going to have to wait a little while longer. Speaking of loading technique I managed to misload the roll in there and have been shooting blank frames for the last 20 or so picture. Glad it was nothing irreplaceable. That marks only the 3rd time I have ever misloaded a roll like that so that it didn't wind.<br />Sadly the other 2 times were with irreplacable memories (the end of a trip to England and my brother's wedding respectively, at least the later I was shooting with two cameras so I didn't lose an entire segment in its entirety).</p>

<p>I keep an eye on my camera's behavior. I swear one of these days John I am going to send you one or more of my OM-1/OM-1ns for a CLA. Life really seems to get in the way though (maybe after I move this summer/fall).</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice/help.</p>

<p>Check the negative. If you have 3mm overlap this equates to the film slipping around 6mm (you should have a small gap between exposures in addition to the 3mm overlap) the sprocket hole period is around that distance. Are the sprocket holes all clean formed and flat? Have a good look in the camera- The capstan with sprockets is reponsible for moving the film the exact distance required - are any of the sprockets worn or boken? On the OM 1 you will recall the you have to twist a small botton before you rewind the film to free the capstan. When you load the film and start winding the advance leaver the button jumps back. Its worth checking at this point that the button isn't sticking part way - this might alow the mechanism to jump occasionally.</p>

<p>The sprocket pulls film across the same amount every single time you wind, but as the takeup spool fills up with film the diameter of the spool is essentially getting bigger. As it gets bigger, it has to slip and turn a little less each time. IF clutch inside spool (not sprocket) is border line, then it will slip too much and you get overlapping. John</p>

<p>Reminds me of a funny story. A customer of mine noticed that the spool of his OM-1 could be turned with his finger. It was tight, but he could turn it none the less. "This can't be right" he thought. So he mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and carefully dribbled it in through the slots of the takeup spool. "Yeah, there ya go, can't turn that sucker now. It only turns when you wind the film". Next roll of film he shot, he got one picture then noticed this ratcheting clicking sound. With every wind of the lever, the film was pulled over the sprocket, ripping out all the sprocket holes. John</p>

• 2 weeks later...