Changing Focusing Screens on K20D

william_roberts4

<p>I just changed the focusing screen on my K20D. I installed a new Haoda split image focus screen (for manual focus lenses.) The Haoda didn't come with any instructions, but I puzzled it out. There is a little metal latch at the top of the mirror box, that allows a frame (containing the focus screen) to swing down. With the frame lowered, you can take out the old screen and put in a new one. The Haoda screen came with tools to help with the process (nice tweezers, and a set of rubber finger tips.) It also came with a specialized "tool" that I suspect is to help with the metal latch, but I couldn't figure out how it might be used. So I did the whole thing with tweezers and fingers.<br>

As far as the skill level/dexterity required --- if you can change the window screens on the side of your house, you can change the focusing screen. Just give yourself no time limit, plenty of light and patience. Because it would be easy to scratch the screen or the mirror.<br>

I believe you can order a KatzEye screen with grids on it. I don't know if anyone else makes a screen with grids.</p>

<p>I don't know about where you can find such a grid focusing screen, but I know that changing screens is easy enough that you can do it yourself. It's still a rather delicate operation and you have to be careful to not scratch your mirror/screen in the process, but mechanically, it is pretty simple - you unlatch the old screen frame, take the screen out, put the new one in, then latch it back up. KatzEye has instructions on their site for how to do this - you can have a look at them.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies.... I looked at the camera after reading David's response, I can definitely do that. Now I just need to find the right screen. B&H has them, but they say they are for a K7. I will have to do some searching. Thanks, hopefully my horizons won't be crooked anymore... hehehehe</p>

<p>I switched out the standard Pentax screen for a KatzEye screen that I like a lot. They have several options for grids or not and focussing aids in the center of the finder. Mine is the architectural grid version with an 8x10 crop frame and no split image rangefinder, as I have always hated those for focussing manually--I prefer a plain spot at the center. As for the switching process, the KatzEye came with a good tool for opening the latch and removing the old screen from the metal frame, and the process was painless. Auto focus still works as well (or as poorly) as it did with the original screen.</p>