70-200 2.8 VRI Problem, advice needed....

matt_seems

<p>Hello all,<br>

I currently have a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRI lens covered under Nikon's five year USA warranty. One month ago I sent the lens in for a focus motor problem and a problem with the vibration reduction. The lens was returned to me with a new SWM, clean and check and no mention of the VR problem. I nice smear mark was on the front element as well that I cleaned off.<br>

I am aware of the noises the VR systems makes and well as how it behaves in the view finder when it shifts slightly. My problem was a violent clunking and rapid movement in the view finder after I release the shutter button. It will usually take at least thirty minutes of shooting to develope but when it does it is extremely noticeable and not normal. So I sent the lens back to Nikon....<br>

...I just received it yesterday after about 10 days of being at their Melville center, they said they can not duplicate the problem. As soon as I used the lens for a short amount of time, I expirienced the same problems. Not only that, but now I have noticed what looks like a small drop of dried liquid on an inner element of the lens. <br>

I have not called Nikon yet, but need advice from people who have had to deal with them before on service problems. What should I expect? Has anyone ever expirienced this problem with a 70-200 VR system?</p>

<p>Thank you<br>

Matt</p>

<p>Violent clunking is not right- def. a problem even if it only occurs after some time of operation.</p>

<p>I've had a similar head bashing against a brick wall episode with Nikon (Australia) but with a different lens. Unfortunately I broke off the fight with them and lost the will to pursue it further.</p>

<p>From your description it appears Nikon is either :-<br /> 1) Not listening to the specifics of your report<br /> 2) They cannot be bothered running the lens for as long as is required to replicate the VR clunking etc</p>

<p>If you are dis-satisfied with the communications of the telephone operator at Nikon Melville then ask to speak to either a manager or a repairer / techo. I think you must make it plain and simple what exactly is the nature of the problem and the fact that it takes multiple actuations to have the problem flare up.</p>

<p>It's going to be your problem unless you make Nikon well aware that you are not satisfied with past servicing and that the lens continues to malfunction. The clunking problem sounds very rare / unusual and I suspect Nikon have put the lens through the standard operating proceedures in repair and have come up with a fully functioning lens and have re-packed and sent it back after ticking all the <em>usual</em> boxes.</p>

<p>The droplet of liquid is also a concern, do not let this issue go un explored either, where there is smoke there is fire....... The 70-200mm is far too valuable and great lens to let drop - I'd pursue it strongly with Nikon and don't feel uncomfortable about bouncing the lens back in their face multiple times, a warranty is supposed to cover you for such defects.</p>

<p>70-200mm f2.8 VR lenses (especially older specimens) are very sensitive to the electrical power supplied by the camera. When the camera heats up, you're likely to experience a dropoff in the power supplied by the battery or converted by the camera's power supply circuitry.</p>

<p>Silly question, but do you have a spare battery for your camera? If so, try this...</p>

<p>Charge both batteries. Shoot one until the problem starts. Swap them quickly. Shoot the other? Is the problem still there? If not, how long can you shoot before it starts? Having a spare, cool camera to swap the lens to would also tell you a lot.</p>

<p>I had a similar problem with the exact same lens. In addition to loud clunking noises, the lens would suddenly lose AF ability and the focus would just drift aimlessly. And then some shots would come out 'black' essentially the lens stopped down to the smallest aperture instead of the f-stop I selected. This would usually happen after a period of heavy use - say at least 30 minutes, but often an hour or more.</p>

<p>I sent it into Melville three times, each time they were unable to consistently reproduce the problem and thought it might be the VR or a contact issue - the lens falling out of contact with the camera. Very frustrating to wait 10 days (and I'm NPS) for my lens and then experience the same failure the same day I receive it - after playing with the lens for 30-60 min.</p>

<p>Finally after three tries they gave me a new copy of the lens and it's worked fine since then - knock on wood. It sucks, but just keep sending it back until they get it right.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your repsonses.<br>

Michael, it seems that is the same problem I am having. I have a new SWM in the lens now and focusing seems to be normal again, just that darn VR clunking after using the lens for an hour or so. I just called Nikon and I am going to send the lens in next week for the third time....the rep said it will move up to a different level for examination, whatever that means. <br>

I am not trying to get a new lens out of Nikon, I just want my lens to perform the way it used to perform. We shall see.<br>

-Matt</p>

<p>Good luck. I wasn't necessarily trying to get a 'new' lens either. But for the $$$, I expect a professional grade piece of equipment that will perform under all kinds of conditions. For a lens like that to exhibit such show-stopping issues was unacceptable for me as a professional photographer. So I continued to send it in until it came back in a condition where it performed to expectations.</p>

<p>With mine there was all kinds of replacement of parts and tune-ups as they tried to diagnose and correct the issue, which ultimately they were unable to do.</p>

<p>Keep at it - I hope you'll get satisfaction in the end! It is a great lens and having a reliable copy now reminds me that none of us should put up with something substandard - especially when you shell out $2k for it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Finally!! I have been scouring the net trying to find someone with the same issue with this particular lens. I bought my lens used from Adorama. Within a month I started having the VR "clunking" issue.<br>

I sent it too Nikon and FOUR long weeks later I got it back. They replaced the VR system and cleaned it up. A week goes by and the "clunking" starts.<br>

I am starting to think that maybe its not the lens but my camera bodies. I have two D90's and the lens does the same thing on both. I have even put a teleconverter on it to see what happens and still the same. <br>

I got the VR system replaced and you got the SWM replaced. I don't know what else it could be. If you get any news on this issue please post.</p>