Replacing Bayonet Lens Mount / Lens Lock Assembly

<p>On cameras up to m4 the lock button is fixed with a screw in the place where the red dot is on m6. Maybe the red dot is just a cosmetic plastic cover? Anyway, the button and the lens flange are separate parts and you don't need to remove the flange to get the locking button out. </p>

<p> After second glance at the picture sof an m6 (I haven't had one myself) I would bet the part with a dot <em>is</em> a screw. It would need a "rubber screwdriver" or a flexiclamp to turn it. In your place I would wait until someone confirms my opinion. Do you have a replacement part?</p>

<p><em>Find a good repair person. You'll need one anyway if you try to do this yourself.</em></p>

<p><em>Find a good repair person. You'll need one anyway if you try to do this yourself.</em></p>

<p><em>Find a good repair person. You'll need one anyway if you try to do this yourself.</em><br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<p>I don't get this attitute and I'm pretty tired of it. I don't know if this is peculiar to Leica forum here, or prevalent through the site, but I noticed that if someone asks some simple or hard technical question, there are always answers like these (oh and also the classic boring line <strong><em>Don't touch it and send to Mr.Mrs.SherryGoldbergKrauterDAGTheyAreTooBackloggedToHelpProbablyBUTYouKnowWhatIMean!</em></strong>).</p>

<p>At the end, it is just a camera! If someone has the guts to try something and ask a question like this, I am pretty sure they know risks, and they are probably looking for fun. Not like everybody in the universe is scared (or not capable ) of turning few screws.</p>

<p><strong>So if you don't have an answer to these technical questions, why are you bothering people?</strong></p>

<p>Oh and Becky Sun, sorry I don't have the answers for your interesting question now. I hope I can be more helpful another time.</p>

<p>K.</p>

<p>Koray<br>

I would think that persons such as Alex are only attempting to pass on their advice based on years of Leica ownership, having had experience with breakdowns and repairs and cleanings, to others who may be attempting to disassemble or otherwise repair what is a very technical and precise camera. The marvel which makes a Leica, or other fine rangefinder camera is derived from this precision and when it is absent, we have one fine looking paperweight.<br>

I don't mind people trying to repair their Leica bodies or Leica lenses, it's their property and they may do as they wish, I only request that when these persons decide to sell their Leica equipment after an amateur repair or attempt at it, they disclose ahead of time in whatever classified ad they run, the simple phrase..."worked on and repair attempted by me". Let the buyer have an opportunity to pass on this particular piece of Leica equipment having the knowledge that it has been molested by someone other than a skilled, professional repair technician.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't mind people trying to repair their Leica bodies or Leica lenses, it's their property and they may do as they wish, I only request that when these persons decide to sell their Leica equipment after an amateur repair or attempt at it, they disclose ahead of time in whatever classified ad they run, the simple phrase..."worked on and repair attempted by me".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, but Robert, what you say is valid for everything that you buy second hand. Cars, radios, cameras - why particularly Leica? Don't we all acknowledge the risks involved with buying second hand goods when we don't know their history?<em> </em><br>

<em>Leicaphiles anyway send their newly bought second hand goods for CLA right away</em>, am I wrong? At least this is the other classic reply I hear here when someone mentions their second hand purchase!..<br>

K.</p>

<p>Hello Becky, not everybody directs you to those two repair techs.</p>

<ol>

<li>The red dot <strong>is just paint</strong>, no screws consealed. </li>

<li>The mount <strong>doesn't</strong> need to be removed for the button to be extracted. </li>

<li>You can see by the "inside" image I provided you, the button is secured by an <strong>"E" clip</strong>. </li>

<li>Removal <strong>requires</strong> that you separate the body shell from the main casting.</li>

<li>"Screw tab" part <strong>isn't easy to come by</strong>, maybe off of another older body...</li>

</ol>

<p>Not tough if you have the training & correct tools though. </p><div>00Wiud-253639584.JPG.9c90a210a7deec57e2b070694c5b7f3d.JPG</div>

<p>Koray.<br>

Yes, you're wrong. "Leicaphiles", like most other identifiable segments of the population, are individuals who definitely do not all act in the same manner. Some care for their cameras while others abuse theirs. Some use a 50mm lens as standard while others prefer the 35mm. I've bought two Leicas new and two second hand. They all eventually went in for a CLA but they were all used extensively before being serviced. Not all used Leicas require a CLA, although I'm sure some do. </p>

<p>Becky.<br>

Alex had some good advice and certainly had your best interests in mind when he posted his comments. You may want to ask yourself if the red button really must be replaced. Most of us use our Leicas just the way they came from the factory. I don't have an M6 but my M2 and M4 are unmodified and continue to perform well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Koray.<br>

Yes, you're wrong. "Leicaphiles", like most other identifiable segments of the population, are individuals who definitely do not all act in the same manner. Some care for their cameras while others abuse theirs. Some use a 50mm lens as standard while others prefer the 35mm. I've bought two Leicas new and two second hand. They all eventually went in for a CLA but they were all used extensively before being serviced. Not all used Leicas require a CLA, although I'm sure some do. </p>

<p>Becky.<br>

Alex had some good advice and certainly had your best interests in mind when he posted his comments. You may want to ask yourself if the red button really must be replaced. Most of us use our Leicas just the way they came from the factory. I don't have an M6 but my M2 and M4 are unmodified and continue to perform well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with Alex. I would imagine that just removing and minutes later replacing the steel lens mount might lead to problems. Not only must it be very secure, but it must be perfectly flat, and a precise distance form the film plane, and the roller arm of the rangefinder lens cam link. Too much work getting a screw out or putting one back in could subtly affect all of this. I am pretty handy with tools, but I would never touch my lens mount. I do not have the equipment to check it afterwards. Meanwhile, it looks like doing that would have been unnecessary: stripping the camera to the point of Gus's picture above, which doesn't require taking the lens mount off the casing, still seems pretty reckless just to change the colour of the release button. My M2 was serviced by an experienced German a couple of years ago. It is perfect. My M6 was serviced by a very experienced tech this year but it had to go back twice for minor adjustments to the rangefinder. It is still not quite right, with the framelines for the 35 not displaying perfectly correctly in the vertical position. Taking the top off the Leica assumes you could handle all of that as well which I never will. Alex assumed you wouldn't have this expertise yet either. I doubt that he is wrong. Finally, it might be possible to have someone with a workshop shave off the head of a small screw and glue it onto your M6 release button. It wouldn't be recessed quite right a la the M3 look and it might interfere with the lens red dots when mounting the lenses (unless you remove them anyway.) And you might hate it. Alternatively, a small dot of black paint might look classy enough and would relieve you of the embarrassment of the red dot. Presumably you have the top cover taped.</p>

<p>Thank you Richard G. My advice about camera repair (and the repair of any other complex machine) is: if you have to ask how to do it, you had better let an expert do it. If you want to learn how to repair cameras study with with someone who knows how. I speak as someone sadder by wiser. Beyond tightening loose screws, I take my cameras to Motomachi Camera and let a good tech handle them. Ultimately it saves money and time. And time is precious. Be kind to yourself. If you can afford a Leica you can afford a fix. </p>

<p>To paraphrase an earlier remark saying 'it's just a camera': it's just a camera, why not leave the button alone?<br>

Replacing with the M3 shrouded button is not possible, because that one threads into the body while the M6 body does not have any threads. You would have to replace the complete M6 shell with an M3 shell, and the battery compartment in the M6 would probably be in the way.</p>

<p>Easier: just scratch out the red paint on the M6 lens button. It's not a cosmetic plastic cover, it's only paint with metal underneath. That's as close as you're gonna get.</p>

<p>Alex Shishin: "If you have to ask how to do it, you had better let an expert do it."<br>

I must disagree. Sometimes a person may have the skills needed to do something but may not understand just how it is to be done. I have done several small jobs by searching for information and by asking for guidance.</p>