Help Me Decide 5D MK II vs 7D

p._anup

<p>Hi guys its been 2 and half years i have had a 500D which is in pristine condition and im looking forward to upgrade. first i have 18-55, 50 1.8, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 F4 IS USM. i shoot for a magazine mostly travel(beaches,rivers,etc).i also will be learning advanced studio work soon, i need to choose between the 5d MKII and 7D. My budget doesn't allow me to buy the 5D mk III. please suggest<br /> Thank you</p>

<p>If you look around, I think that the new, new price of the 5Dii (without lens) is so close to the current used prices that you might as well go 'new' while they are still available. You'll be amazed at the 24-105mm on the larger sensor.</p>

<p>It's really handy to have one APS-C camera and another that is 35-mm sensor ('full frame'). Use your 70-200 on the APS-C when you need a little more reach.</p>

<p>I had a 5D mk i, and, after seeing the specs on the mark iii, decided that my kind of shooting didn't need the new bells and whistles, so I bought a new mark ii last month. I am really pleased with it, and my daughter is just as pleased as she now has the 5D.</p>

<p>I own the 5D MkII and the 7D with the 24-105mm, the 70-200/f4 and the 500mm f/4. For travel, I think that the 5D MkII is superior in high-ISO performance and overall image quality.</p>

<p>The only reason to consider the 7D is if you need its high fps performance.</p>

<p>...or if you have a stable full of EF-S glass (which you don't)... I would say, given what you are shooting, your requirements, and your available lenses, that the 5D2 is ideal for you. I would even go so far as to say that (could you afford it) the 5D3 is kind of a waste, since you don't really need any of it's 'strengths' (over the 5D2 anyway).</p>

<p>Absolutely get the MarkII, or maybe even the original 5D. You will be blown away by the quality of FF, plus the nice perks of a more pro camera, like a brighter, larger viewfinder, weather sealing, control dial, and just the overall build quality of the camera.</p>

<p>You will really like the 70-200 on a full frame sensor. Scratch that love the 70-200. That 24-105 will also be a different animal especially at 24. I did not like my 24-70 2.8 L on the crop sensor, it was too tight. Look for deals on MK II before it goes away. Refurb idea is a good one also. </p>

<p>Another vote for the 5D Mk ii. I own also own the 5D Mk i and have recently acquired a Mk iii body. In normal lighting conditions you won't notice much difference between any of them. In low light they become incrementally better. The Mk ii is a huge improvement in low light versus the Mk i! The Mk iii is better than the Mk ii, but not as much as the Mk ii versus the Mk i. Focussing on the Mk ii is okay, but worse than that of the 7D for sure. The Mk iii is by far the best overall with absolute killer focussing but it is very expensive!</p>

<p>Here is a recent engagement shoot shot with a 5D Mk ii and mostly a 70-200mm F2.8 L IS lens (so your 70-200 F4 will fit very well with the Mk ii...):</p>

<p>http://www.bellissimaphoto.co.uk/london-engagement-photography/london-engagement-photographer.html</p>

<p>The 5D II will blow you away! I also have the T2i (550D), and before that the 50D, the first of which gives results almost identical to those of the 7D, at least when you have time to set up properly. Believe me, the 5D II images are out of this world. There really is no comparison, especially if you shoot in low light.</p>

<p>Another advantage of the 5D II is that you really can shoot hand-held in many cases simply by turning up the ISO--without obvious noise.</p>

<p>I have never shot another camera remotely close to it--and I had the 5D and the 1Ds Mark II as well. The latter is a great camera, but in image quality it just did not have what the 5D II offers. Quality is about more than megapixels. This is a truly superior camera, an instrument worthy of the very best photographers.</p>

<p>You will not believe your eyes.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I agree with JDM, especially about the full frame-crop combination you would have if you got the 5Dii. My main combo is 5Dii and 7D. The 7D is by far the better camera in every respect except the full-frame image quality, but that is a HUGE "except." Between the two, it's the 5Dii I always pick up, except for action shooting.</p>

<p>Thank You Guys Just placed my order for a brand new 5D mark II will be delivered in like 48 hours cant wait at last my 24-105 meets its other half :D. Also decided to keep the 500D<br>

David bell good clicks mate.</p>

<p>For the OP's usage, the 5D MkII is the way to go, IMHO, but the 7D does some things that blows the MkII into the weeds, but it only matters if you need those things (faster more flexible AF and much higher fps). For the OP, the MkII should meet all his stated needs.</p>

<p>I'll be the non-conformist here. For top IQ no doubt that the 5D2 tops the 7D but as a whole package I think the 7D is better. I have it for about two years and while I've shot several times with some friends' 5D2's I never felt the need to switch.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br />Yakim.</p>