Nikon Nikkor 600/800/1200T on 8x10

charlie_kelly

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have the opportunity of purchasing the 600 and 1200 attachments to this lens, but need to make a fairly hasty decision, but am finding it difficult to read up on the info that I am really after, so will put a few questions in and see where it gets me.<br>

Does anyone have a few examples online of any images taken with a 8x10 camera? I'd love to see an example of the focal length of any of the 3 focal lengths?<br>

Also, does anyone have any ideas what sort of focal length lens Richard Misrach used on his book Beaches I think it is called where he photographed people in the sea from seemingly long distances? I am of course assuming he used 8x10 for this!</p>

<p>Any other info regarding image circle and movements or anything practical would be very much appreciated.<br>

Many thanks,<br>

Charlie</p>

<p>Charlie,<br>

I have owned all three of the Nikkor lenses for about 12 years and use them on 8x10 film. At f22 they cover the format but leave little room for rise or fall, etc. They are sharp, the 600 being the best, followed by the 800 and then 1200.<br>

Care is required to get good results. I normally use my heavy tripod on the camera and a lighter one mounted near the front standard, close to the lens. Bellows draw can be a factor as well because to focus the 1200, or even the 600 at close distances (portraits) requires a lot of draw. I constructed an extension to use with the 1200.<br>

I scan the film at high resolution and then produce 40x50 inch prints for sale. The clarity is dramatic and I have sold several hundred black and white and color prints over the years.<br>

On 8x10 the 600 is close to a 100mm on 35mm format, the 1200 close to a 200mm on 35mm format.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

for the Richard Misrach part of your question: as far as I know (AFAIK) he is using mostly a Schneider Super Symmar XL 210mm and 8x10 film. The 210 has a 500mm image circle and is a very sharp wide angle, very expensive too! It has 'aspherical' and special glass lenses, that strongly contributes to drastically reduce geometrical and optical aberrations...<br>

Than Misrach has is strong style too!<br>

Cheers, Massimo</p>