paul_feyling

I will be making some regular trips from California to the Lakeland

area on family matters and would love to get away to some nearby forest

primeval, cypress swamp, etc. for landscape photography. Any

possibilites within an hour or two of Lakeland. Trips now are planned

for end of October, January, April.

Thank you very much.

Paul Feyling

I don't think you could call it "forest primeval" but Hillsborough River State Park is close to Lakeland and an excellent site for landscapes. During the April trip I think you'll find some fog in the early am and driving the backroads from Plant City to Lakeland airport will get you some farmland and beautiful trees with the fog. There's a beautiful trail at Canaveral National Seashore (go through New Smyrna Beach onto the island and to the tip of it) The trail with the larger parking lot after the curve is my favorite). These are old oaks having been shaped by the wind. If you can toss in another hour (probably 2:45 total), you can get to Washington Oaks - okay trail but great rocks on the beach. 3:15 or 3:30 min. will get you to Blowing Rocks. The Hontoon Island area does have some Cypress Trees but it's a fairly long hike for a couple of shots. I'm sure there's many more but I've only been living here in Central FL (was Ft. Lauderdale) for a year.

Mike

Paul - Just on the northern border of Lakeland is the Green Swamp - hundreds of square miles of cypress swamp. It's right in Lakeland's backyard! Access points include large portions of preserved land owned by the Southwest Florida Water Management District, several county parks, or the Withlacoochee State Forest. No need to drive very far at all. Check the Water Management's District's website for online information, including maps and trail descriptions. Feel free to email with any questions.

• 1 year later...

Lakeland is surrounded by wetlands! The Green Swamp is good and accessible via a number of dirt roads. Getting big-picture views could be tough since the area is densely forested.

The Hillsborough River is good (near Tampa). Canoes can be rented (Canoe Escape in Thonotosassa) and there are several county parks (good boardwalks at Morris Bridge, Seargent Park, and Lettuce Lake) This river is good for wildlife esp. gators and birds. Also general shots of riverine swamp (including Cypress).

Highlands Hammock State Park - in Sebring - is another good place with a boardwalk -- about a 2 hr drive south. Hydric hammock and creek swamp (with cypress).

If you really have time, and head way south to National Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp.

Tibet Butler Preserve (over toward Orlando) is yet another potential.

If you're after wildlife shots - check out Medard Reservoir and Saddle Creek Park - both old phosphate mine areas that have been turned into parks. The birds are very used to people and easy to see.

Shirley Denton<div>006dJZ-15476284.jpg.33160f9f224cfa0d817d9c0ab56e068e.jpg</div>