Natural look on person's face

<p>

<p >Hello I have recently started taking outdoor portraits. I use fill flash on a hot shoe flash to fill in the darkness around peoples face. I diffuse the face and point it slightly away from the person. As it’s outside there is nowhere to bounce the flash.</p>

<p >This works well in some portraits, give a look as if there a bit of sun on a person’s face. However I would like to achieve a more natural look, with flash or by other means.</p>

<p >Reflectors aren’t any use for me, as I work alone.</p>

</p>

<p>Well, you could consider a reflector stand and a sandbag or so. Depends on your style. Otherwise, you need to look at getting that flash off of the camera. Again, that usually calls for a small stand and extra considerations when you're dealing with wind or situations that call for long hikes to the location, etc.<br /><br />Is part of the un-natural look you're dealing with a mix of color temperatures? Meaning, are you in nice warm, sweet light ... and filling face shadows with a cooler-looking flash? Might be time to gel that flash for some warmer-looking fill.</p>

<p>I suspect you're thinking of the hard shadow edges caused by the small light source (like the sun). To address this you need a larger light source, like an umbrella or softbox. These can be challenging to use outdoors if there is any wind, but fundamentally you need a stand and sandbags, or preferably an assistant (a friend of your subject works well).</p>

<p>I've been using a Sunbounce mini size reflector mounted on a stand and it works pretty well without an assistant. I've been shooting quite a bit lately with it and wind has not turned out to much of a problem as generally the places I'm shooting are relatively well protected from wind and I don't need any extra weight. In any case with an umbrella or softbox you have the same problems with wind. You can mount the cheap circular reflectors on stands as well, but I haven't tried it.</p>

<p>Personally I started out using only flash with ambient for outdoor portraits, but lately I'm using only natural light with reflectors. I prefer the reflectors. But flash has it's advantages for sure.</p>

<p>Sounds like you need a bounce card. Point your fill flash up and rubberband a 3x5 index card to the back of it, fold the index card forward slightly, and you're in business. You might want your flash more diffuse than the 3x5 card gives you, and that's a matter of a larger bounce card, such as 8x10. You can buy these things readymade, but I cobbled up mine from foamboard and Velcro (plus the good glue that sticks to foamboard), all from Walmart.</p>

<p>I shoot 2 stops below ambient light with camera on full manual mode and leave the flash on ettl.<br /><br />There is a short article in Shutterbug July issue, the author sets his camera to aperture-priority and sets his built in flash to full, -1, or -2 compensation. He explains it better than I do.</p>

Yup, post a sample. We're groping in the proverbial dark here. I often work alone too, but never leave home without my reflector. More often than not, if it's a headshot or even 3/4 shot, I'll have my subject hold the reflector for me. If I am using flash, it is always with a Demb Flash Diffuser attached.

<p>I do pay attention to what time of the day to shoot if I have to shoot portrait outdoor. Some of my best shots come from either early in the morning or late in the afternoon when daylight is somewhat soft and not too harsh on my subject.</p>

<p>need to diffuse your flash head, and perhap reduce intensity. Same thing at that little boy on swing - too much lfash, too 'hard' of light and too much post processing - too much 'punch' to the image. almost looks like a composite, artificial looking.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I love doing outdoor portraits, and have done so for years. I prefer the light just after the sun goes down or in open shade. The light is very complex and needs to be carefully observed for shadows. I never use a flash or fill, but once in a while a reflector provides very natural fill. If its not windy, you can clamp a fill card to a light stand. I actually like to put a large bolt through the center of a 32x40 inch card which can then be set into a flash bracket on a light stand. Then the card can be tilted if needed. See my folders here in pnet for lots of examples of natural light portraiture, or go to my website where I have a page describing natural or available lighting for portraits. I just shot the most recent portraits in my "people" folder here a yesterday. It was late in the day as the sun was going down. The poses were natural (I did not pose her) and I didn't use any flash or fill of any kind.</p>