need advise for lenses EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

max_k1

<p>Hi everyone, I would like to get a camera Canon EOS550D, but I am not sure which KIT of lenses to get; either:-<br />both EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS<br />or<br />only EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS<br>

I am just starting with photography and would appreciate your feedback. <br />Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Max,<br />Both the 18-55 and the 55-250, either individually, or together as the "Kit" would be good if the savings is better than buying the additional lens. If however you choose to only get one lens with the 550D, I would recommend the EFs 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS as a starter.<br>

Best wishes,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The "all in one" lens kinda defeats the purpose of a DSLR. There's a reason you can change lenses. You'd get better quality photos with two specialized lenses than one "do it all" lens. If you don't like changing lenses you might as well get a powerful point and shoot. So my vote is for the 18-55mm + 55-250mm.</p>

<p>Max,<br>

That 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS is the combo I should have gotten. I got the 55-250 IS and it does fine for my needs. Since the 17-85 IS can be gotten used for lower prices I'm looking into the 17-85 IS on the wide end. It will give me a little overlap, but I don't think that will be a bad thing. Just one more possibility to add to the options.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>If you already have the 55-250mm then why get the 17-85mm? The 18-55mm-IS is cheaper and gets great reviews. According to <a href="http://www.photozone.de">www.photozone.de</a> "Its resolution characteristic is similar to the (much higher priced) EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS at comparable aperture settings, quite a bit better than the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS and naturally vastly improved over its non-IS predecessor! "<br>

<a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review">http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review</a></p>

<p>Max, do you feel you need a telephoto lens or are you buying a kit "just because"? Range up to 250mm can be useful but also consider wide angle. 15-85 IS is one excellent lens and that 3mm at the wide end makes a big difference, more than you'd think at first. 85mm is also a very nice place to be, moderate tele, great for portraits and when you want to back up from the action just a bit. A lot more useful and optically better than 18-135 and 85mm could be all tele you need for most shooting. It also beats older 17-85 IS (which has always been a bit overpriced for my taste, especially when you compare it to cheap Nikon 18-105 VR).<br /> Of course 15-85 is a bit on the expensive side but take a look at kits available to you, sometimes you can get it for very reasonable sum compared to basic 18-55 + 55-250 kit. It's not a "pro" lens but probably the best do-it-all zoom Canon has ever made and highly versatile and compact.</p>