Teleconverters with 1200/11 ED non-AI Nikkor

conrad_smith

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=748643">Samuel Lipoff</a> asked last week about using teleconverters with his 800/8 ED non-AI Nikkor. Below are test images of the optically-similar 1200/11 ED Nikkor and AU-1 focusing unit using TC-301, TC-14A, modified TC-14E and TC-16A teleconverters. All images were exposed at ISO 400 with a Nikon D200.<br>

The TC-301 image is frisbee players about a quarter of a mile from the camera. The TC-14A, TC-14E and TC-16A images depict a cell phone antenna tower three miles from the camera under rare conditions of negligible atmospheric turbulence. <br>

All combinations were cumbersome and somewhat impractical for everyday use. But some of the combinations are usable given that you have stable support for the camera/lens combination.</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p><br /></p><div>00WfeV-251873584.jpg.dfe937604a7dfedcc37294e219d80560.jpg</div>

<p>I have a Nikkor 1200 F11 AIS that I use for surfing once in a while. It's very bright at the beach but adding any tele converter would make the viewfinder even darker. My lens is also very susceptible to flare. Only approximately 300 of my version of the lens were produced, I suspect for the 84 Olympics in LA. </p>