Anyone else overheated their 50D?

jim_j2

<p>The technology in today's camera bodies is amazing!<br>

While shooting today in "Live View," in direct sunlight and doing some macro work, a little red Icon started blinking in the upper left two thirds of screen. I couldn't really tell what it was, had my glasses off, but moved the camera into the shade while I went inside to review the manual.</p>

<p>Who would have ever thought! </p>

<p>Yep, it was a little red thermometer blinking. . . "Warning of high internal temperatures that may degrade image quality" according to the manual.</p>

<p>No problems once I moved it into the shade and took a break. Just found it interesting!</p>

<p>Darn clever, these cameras! I remember reading something about that, but I think yours is the first post I've read where someone has actually mentioned the warning icon showed up. So who knows, maybe we'll see thermo-electric cooling systems for cameras?</p>

<p>Dan,<br>

Doesn't appear to be a specific setting to choose between the "Warning & Live View shutdown."<br>

The manual indicates . . ."If you use a hard disk-type card and Live View shooting continues while the warning icon is displayed, the camera's internal temperature will further increase and the Live View shooting will stop automatically. Live View shooting will be disabled until the camera's internal temperature decreases."</p>

<p>I didn't ignore the blinking warning, so mine never stopped Live View automatically.</p>

<p>I've had it happen (the red flashing warning on the LCD) when in Live View's excellent but power-sucking mode... and the camera is in (Florida's) sunshine at mid-day. Scared me the first time it happen, initially had no idea what it was.</p>

<p>The body always gets warm in Live View regardless of where it's being used, studio or outdoors. Outdoors in mid-day summer sunshine after about 10 minutes LV use, the red-flash warning will appear. No other choice than quit. (Admittedly, rarely do I work outdoors midday in Florida's summer)<br>

I find LV mode invaluable for both macro work, and wildlife (still subjects of course) - combined with the camera's 5x and 10x viewing magnification. LCD viewing outdoors requires a viewing hood (Hoodman works reasonably well).<br>

10X viewing can be very revealing with the camera mounted on a high-end carbon-fiber tripod (Gitzo) and a top-notch head (RRS 2" ball). Despite the ultra-high quality tripod+head... the amount of vibration that occurs when even lightly touching the (500mm) lens is startling; one assumes the above equipment makes the rig rock-solid, vibration proof. It doesn't, not even close. Breezes can have the same effect.</p>

<p>It is my opinion the Live View was a "last minute add-on" by Canon engineering - highly valuable, but needs far more development work. I wouldn't buy another camera if it didn't have Live View (even though I don't use it 70% of the time). For critical focus... nothing comes close. (Only applies to tripod work and a still subject)</p>