Humor: Apple purchases Leica

<p>If Apple buys Leica, this will be the end of film as it use to be. Only <em>Tackycolor</em>, <em>Chromefunny</em> and <em>Blacksillywhite Pan</em> film apps will be allowed to use with their cameras. <em>No thanks!</em><br /> That`s incredible there isn`t <strong>any</strong> <em>serious</em> independent photo app among their thousand of billions apps. I`m still waiting for it to buy an iPhone. ;P</p>

<p>Hmmm, that`s a nice app indeed but... a really serious program is this: <a href="http://www.bobwheeler.com/photo/ViewCam.pdf">Notes in View Camera Geometry.</a> Sadly, it`s only available for obsolete Palm devices and other stone-age systems.<br>

I wonder about the need of that endless charts. I`m using TX and a very few other films since they were invented, thought. That counters are useful, but they already exist in different forms.</p>

<p>I wish someone would write a comprehensive easy to use massive dev app. Not a chart, but an app where you input your film, your dev, the IE, and it tells/suggests dilutions, how to mix, time, warnings.</p>

<p>There are some medical programs written for smart phones like that. After I have not processed film for a while I can't remember even the simplest things and forget about the different parameters when trying to push.</p>

<p>Yeah, I could use that app.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Isn't that the Apple users agreement?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A Microserf dares ask this? Have you ever decided to install some DLL or some part of a program other than in the place Windoze wants to put it? In general, just drag a few files to the "desktop" and see what happens. I've actually worked on both operating systems (and a bunch of others such as Unix, DOS (the IBM mainframe one), OS360, CMS on the old IBM mainframes, and others). Hell, if I'd had the sense to quit school, I coulda' been Bill Gates! :)</p>

<p>I'll bet you never even knew that not all computers force you to put everything where they want.</p>

I was mostly referring to Apple's rather fashist grip over their `app store', and all the things you can't do with Iphones (come-on, no wireless business-card transfer? My Palm III could do that 10 years ago!)

As for workstations, I'm not defending DLL's, but do you even KNOW where mac-OS stores its programs and system files? You want openness and control, you go open source. If you care less, you get a Mac or a PC. The choice between the latter two is just preference, both get the job done.

<p>Look, this is a comic thread. But</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but do you even KNOW where mac-OS stores its programs and system files?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>the answer is that you do if you pay attention. The current OS is really UNIX, so it is less flexible than the older, original Mac OS in which the computer did the job of finding and keeping track of the programs and other such stuff without any difference being made as to where you put them. You could put your MacPaint in any place you wanted, and Mac would find it with no error messages.</p>

<p>I actually am one of the first to have used the term "expert tolerant" many years ago (1980s) in a published letter to <em>Byte</em> magazine, so I am well aware of the power and intolerance of UNIX and other former minicomputer OSs.</p>

<p>I think that Exakta would be a good acquisition for MS. It, for example, puts the controls on the "wrong side"<br>

Everything works backward from nearly every other camera, etc. :)<br>

Can others suggest what IBM would do if they bought some camera company?<br>

What kind of camera would BP make? This topic is far from mined out. ;)</p>