New old Rolleicord Va

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I was lucky enough to acquire a Rolleicord Va today with the Rolleicord 16 adapter set in it's case and a little pouch with a UV filter, a "Mittel Gelb" filter and a lens hood. It was US$150.00 - surprisingly about what Yashicas go for around here.</p>

<p>The slow speeds are sticky and the shutter cocking lever has lost it's little knob but otherwise it seems fine.</p>

<p>Any recommendations for polishing the exterior bright metal parts? I will get some leather cream for the black leather and get a new leather strap for the case too.</p>

<p>And how about the edges where the black paint has come off? A small brush and some matt black modelling paint for touch-up?</p>

<p>Next month a visit to our local camera repair man I think.</p>

<p>I think I prefer the shutter release to my Yashica-Mat, although I prefer the Yashica's crank wind. I look forward to a long relationship with this one! The 16 exposure adapter might well be handy I think.</p>

<p>--Irvine</p>

<p>That's a fantastic deal on the Rolleicord! That was the last model and it easily can sell for double that price. Keep excersing the shutter speeds. Put the camera out in direct sunlight for a few hours too. Sometimes that can free up the grease and get it working again.</p>

<p>Irvine, I have the same model as you, my late father-in-law's camera. It is worth more to me than in the market, so I would have had a CLA done in any case. It wasn't exactly cheap, but quite reasonably done by <a href="http://www.krimarphoto.com/">Krikor Maralian</a>, and he did a wonderful job with it. I also put in a brighter screen, one from <a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html">Rick Oleson</a>. Both of these are wonderful people to deal with, wholeheartedly recommended.</p>

<p>Russ, actually the Vb is the latest model, the differences between Va and Vb are small, one major one being that the Vb has an interchangeable focusing screen. Though <a href="http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/rolleicord.shtml">according to this page</a>, the Va type II had 12/24-exposure counter, the Vb Type 2 was the one with the 12/16/24-exposure counter.</p>

Lucky You !! Great Deal! Never had Rolleicord/flex but I started on the Yashica D 'Cord copy. It focuses/advances with dials on the right. Later I got a Yashicamat with the winder on the right and the focus on the left. I can't get used to it! I think it's just a developed habit thing.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Irvine, On your Va you've got a Compur shutter. When you test the slow shutter speeds, what does it sound like? On very slow speeds does it make a pleasing whirr or does it sound like a tiny diesel going uphill? The slowest speeds (1/8 and longer) use a secondary clockwork mechanism to make the delay between opening and closing the shutter. It could be that's sticking, which would give good exposures on fast speeds, but overexposure on slow speeds. Also, when you store your Va, keep it with the aperture fully open -f3.5 (stops anything settling on the shutter blades) , shutter speed on about 1/15 or 1/8 (not at 1/250 or above, that strains the springs) and let the shutter tension off (you can do that without losing a frame with the red multiple exposure lever on the front and a lens cap on). And I'd be too scared of getting something nasty on the lens to attempt polishing it.<br>

Above all, I hope you really enjoy your Rollei Va. Doesn't matter how far technology takes us, the Va will always be an inspiring camera to use. Makes us look properly and see differently. Thank you, you've made me want to take mine (had Va since I was 18) out again. </p>