AC 75-200mm default aperture position when off camera?

wildestseas

<p>I picked up a Canon AC 75-200mm f/4.5 zoom lens used, thinking it was an EOS mount. It turns out that it is only compatible with the T80 and a few other FD bodies in manual focus mode. <br>

The lens looks like it's in great condition - but I've noticed that the aperture blades are closed down to about f/8. I can't control them by any of the levers on the back of the lens mount. This strikes me as a bit odd as most lenses stay wide open until you fire the shutter. <br>

The AC lenses do not have aperture controls on the lens. You have to control this electronically from the camera body, so there's a chance that it is normal for the lens to stop down a bit when you take it off the camera. <br>

Can any of you with AC lenses tell me if this is normal for the aperture to stay stopped-down a bit when it's off the camera? It could save me an enormous headache in the future if I try to sell it again. Thanks in advance! </p>

<p>While it's not a very practical combination, the AC lenses can be used with any Canon FD camera that has shutter priority exposure capability...for instance AE-1, A-1, T-90, or EF. Manual focus is ackward but is possible and the lenses aren't outstanding examples of FD lens design.</p>

<p>I have a T-80 along with the 50mm & 35-70mm lenses. As Canon's first (and only) attempt at entering the auto-focus FD market, I figured it was worth being in my collection. The focus mechanism is well below modern EOS standards, but it usually works and I've shot many rolls with this combo.</p>