$200 for tripod & head?

brad_bireley

You don't say what equipment you've got or what sort of photography you do which makes it rather difficult to give a good answer. The first respondent's solution is absolutely fine for landscape type photography so long as you don't use extremely long lenses. In fact it's similar to my set-up which I use professionally for medium format equipment. It won't be so good for birds and animals or indeed any subject where you have to change the framing rapidly. It won't be good

if you have 400mm lenses or even a big 200mm and a teleconverter.

I think we need a bit more from you.

More information is always helpful, but for the money, I don't think it matters what you subject interest is - Alan's suggestion is tough to beat. I've used that set up with a 400mm lens and lots of fast action, as well as landscapes. If you are shooting a 500mm or 600mm prime lens, I agree that more is needed. But then again, if you are using one of those lenses, I don't think you would be asking the forum what tripod to buy, or limiting yourself to $200. Good luck

Hi Brad,

I agree with Alan Olander about the Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and the 3055 head. I used this combination for a number of photo trips. Though you don�t have to modify it immediately, the head works much better when it is modified by Kirk Enterprises, http://www.kirkphoto.com/products.html, to take his quick release plate. I also had Kirk modify the tripod so it went flat to the ground while using his center post. The big problem with the tripod, it doesn�t extend high for use by a taller photographer. I never used it with longer than a 400mm lens.

The 3055 head is sort of marginal with a 400mm lens. When I bought my 400, I switched to the monster 3038 ball head and got a big increase in sharp slides (but the 3038 is too damn heavy and I don't use it much anymore). The 3055 head is certainly fine with shorter lenses. I agree with one of the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 series tripods.

Once you decide on the head you're looking for, if it's a Bogen/Manfrotto, check out B&H to see if it's offered in a combo package. I got my 3021PRO (definitely recommend picking up the PRO legs if you can, the extra flexability is a plus) with 3047 3-way pan head (supports 11 pounds) for $205.

Go to B&H, hit "Tripods," then hit "Complete Tripods and Heads" to see Bogen/Manfrotto deals.

No matter what combination legs & head you use, it's a good idea to get a separate support for the longer lenses.

Can't recall what the model number ( or even the actual name) is, but it clamps onto one of the tripod legs with a small ball head to screw in to the lens' tripod mount collar

A test was done in Popular Photo (boo!! hisss!!!AMATEUR!!!) showing the best anti'vibration setup was camera body on the tripod with lens supported by the brace

Great for situations where you don't need to pan, pretty slow to change though