Monument Valley: Hunt's Mesa: Photo Tour

julieroggow

<p>I called and was inquiring about the photo tour led by Tom Phillips but I have some questions. The the girl I talked seemed uncertain in some of her answers.<br>

<strong>First:</strong> If you overnight on Hunt's mesa in their tents, is there an outhouse? I'm wondering about privacy having to use the bathroom.<br>

<strong>Second:</strong> Is there usually more than one company that has guests up on Hunt's Mesa for overnight camping? I'm just wondering about how many people we'd be sharing the "rock" with. The girl I talked to seemed to think they were the only company that could take overnight guests.<br>

<strong>Third:</strong> How terrible is the rough road? I guess it would be worth it whatever the condition. The person traveling with me is in the 65-70 age range but reasonably fit. Do they fly over the bumps when driving or take it relatively easy?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>1) When I was there it was more an enclosure. Under these conditions people are pretty considerate and keep their distance.<br /> 2) If you are really concerned, I would ask to have Tom Phillips call you back. However, I was there a few years ago with another outfitter and while I believe they coordinate, I expect there could be another group or two. It is a pretty big place - but the prime location is only big enough for one group with 6 or 8 tents.<br /> 3) Road? It is more of a goat trail. You can't go more than a few mph while climbing the mesa, and you bounce over pretty big rocks but it isn't particularly severe. We had to get out and walk for one short stretch to lighten the load. The condition will vary depending on recent rains, etc.</p>

<p>I'd also highly recommend Ian Whitehead's workshops that go there. Ian's a wonderful photographer and teacher, his photos are in galleries in Sedona. He teaches everything from Large Format (which he uses extensively) to digital.<br>

Plus you won't be dealing with a middle-man, he handles all his inquiries personally.<br>

Just do a google or bing search for ian whitehead photography</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi Julie,<br>

Tom Phillips is the one to call for this, there could be another group up there and overnight is a very nice experience. There is nothing up there for privacy except the trees! the road is rough but the going is slow, there might be a couple of mildly spooky sections but nothing like say some of those pass roads in Telluride Colorado, that you see the jeeps on.<br>

For Charles below, I do offer trips up there as an overnight, but a lot of people are not into camping and especially primitive camping, so I came up with a version that is just an afternoon and sunset, as far as the price goes the trip included many other locations throughout the region as a four and a half day workshop. For those that are not interested in workshops and don't need any instruction in photography, do your research, plan your own trip and have fun!</p>