I need better light stands, What are you using?

joseph_brown7

<p>After breaking one of my light stands by bracing it from one of the legs supports with my foot on a windy day it broke! When I bought the stands I knew they were not the best quality (they are Adorama 12' air cushioned) but upon arrival all the bracing and hardware was made of cheap plastic. I use Manfrotto 3361 stands at the commercial studio I work for but they cost a ton and IMHO are overkill for a sb800 speedlite. Any thoughts on a solid but reasonably priced stand 8-12' with metal hardware? I have heard good things about avenger products, anybody use them? Thanks!</p>

<p>If all you're putting up is an SB800 and this is indoors, any general purpose lightweight stand will do. An SB800 weighs about 15oz, which is a pittance compared with a monolight.</p>

<p>OTOH if you're adding a softbox or umbrella or working outdoors you will want something more substantial, and possibly a sandbag or counterweight near the stand's base for safety and stability.</p>

<p>Avenger is not a budget line. Their least expensive general purpose 6'-8' stand retails for more than 150.00. A Manfrotto 367B will be half that.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

I have a Manfrotto 367B ("basic"), almost the same as Manfrotto 049B ("quick lock") aka 3361 (not avialble at B&H (discontinued), available at Adorama & Amazon). 049B has the advantages that it can take casters, the locking collar is of aluminium (instead of ABS), and is about 0.2 lb lighter. 367B has the minor advantage of 1 ft of extra height (9 ft maximum) and being 0.2 lb heavier.

Much as Henry P stated, any of the above two (among other choices) will suffice if only using a bare flash. I find that a 36 in umbrella makes Manfrotto 367B top heavy enough to wobble with the slightest touch. If I would to use that light stand outside the confines of my home, I would need to arrange for weight bags of some sort.

I bought 367B from Amazon as it was cheaper (with free shipping to Hawaii) compared to B&H, never mind Adorama for ~US81. In comparison 368B goes to 11 ft, is 1 lb heavier (4 lb), closes to extra 5 in (39 in) for extra ~US$ 5 ($86 right now at Amazon).

So all in all, Manfrotto 049B|3361 that you speak of is not really overkill or "a ton of money" if you would be using a flash with a reasonable sized modifier. Rather it seems to be underspecified, or a compromise (as are 36[78]B) for the sake of portability.

<p>I use Manfrotto Nano stands for shoemounts--even with a medium umbrella, but for bracing, I hang my camera bag from the stand or use a sandbag. For larger umbrellas or softboxes and bigger flashes, I use the standard Bogen 8 foot stand. I've had them for more than 15 years and they are just fine. At some point, I might get a 13' stand with a wider leg spread.</p>

• 2 weeks later...