How to achieve this look (lighting)??

a_daved

<p>Hello, i really love these images. I would love to know how to get this look. It has that feel of daylight on the face and doesnt seem to be flash lighting. But the background is well lit and seem to be getting some kind of flash of the back wall.<br>

http://clmus.com/news/?p=432<br>

I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what kind of setup is best for this picture...</p>

<p>Many Thannks<br>

<br />A</p>

<p>A:</p>

<p>I don't see the "daylight" part at all. It looks like perfectly controlled studio lighting to me. I suspect that it's just very softened. Perhaps a reaction to all those ringlights and beauty dishes out there.</p>

<p>And yes...the white fabric is lit perfectly.</p>

<p>Probably shot outside with a Lightform P-42 (or equivalent) behind as translucent backdrop (overexposed) and another translucent scrim P-22 (smaller) horizontal above and in front of subject. Exposure is established from the face ignoring the bkgrd and the P-22 automatically overexposes the background.</p>

<p>You can achieve similar effect with just front (window) daylight and big black flag behind you (to get shade on the model and overexpose background). The backdrop must be quite close.</p><div>00Wd7X-250317584.jpg.6c9e6e98ab88c6782a9613c26ea973d0.jpg</div>

<p>Igor, never seen that. Do you just move the flag closer or further from the subject to keep the shadow off the bg? Can you get enough over exposure to the background to make it go pure white? Gary, where is the sun in your example. I am thinking above and behind giving a pretty flat ratio on the face that can be manipulated with a reflector or subtractive panel from the side. I know Tim will like me considering the subtractive option. </p>

<p>Yes, the sun is indeed behing the background and if not for the translucent panel would be shining into the lens.</p>

<p>Don't over think this thing - just try it! You'll have to fiddle around with the panels until you get the result you want.</p>

<p>There are dozens of "looks" that stem from this setup with the addition and subtraction of light by various means.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I shot this outdoor with direct sunlight on a white background (one or two images are indoor). No additional reflector or whatever added to the lighting.<br>

<a href="http://nomadphotography.com.au/blog/2010/04/mega-shoot-project-with-some-local-talents/">http://nomadphotography.com.au/blog/2010/04/mega-shoot-project-with-some-local-talents/</a></p>

<p> </p>