how do i remotely fire a flash and have one on cam with sync cord

clark_king4

I would like to use a 580ex2 in an umbrella and then a another unit on camera. I would use a pocket wizard on the one in the umbrella. But what about the unit on camera normally I would have the pw on the hot shoe on camera. I actually would probably have the on cam flash on a bracket with a sync cord. How do I control the flash on the stand remotely? This setup will be for group shots or formals at a wedding.

Thank you

<p>I'm talking about using a short cord between the camera's sync connector and a PW gaffed to the camera. That way you can use one of your speedlights in the hot-shoe, a PW local to the camera as well, and a PW on the slave. You should be able to use a coiled or very short cord - just inches.</p>

Okay I think I understand your suggestion but I'm wanting to use the on cam flash on my flash bracket and there is not the clearance for the pw to be used in the hot shoe. So you're suggesting I use a pc cable from the camera to the pw gaffed to the camera to control the unit on the stand and then still use the sync cable from the hot shoe to the unit on the bracket?

<p>Maybe I have it wrong? What bracket do you have? I would go off camera shoe cord to connect the flash as usual. Connect the Pocket Wizard transmitter to the PC terminal of the camera. You could gaffers tape the transmitter on the bracket, but I would just pick of a cold shot to attach to the bracket and put the PW there!</p>

<p>Which PW? Even with the older ones, I've heard of radio interference with the 580EX II in the hotshoe.</p>

<p>Depending upon the bracket, mounting the PW on the bracket could be a problem with the transmitter into the camera PC socket, because if it is a flip type bracket, you'd need a coiled cable that will stretch.</p>

<p>Go to Michael Bass' website and look through the sync mods he has listed for the 580EX II and be aware that the PC socket on the flash in non functional in some modes. I would avoid that altogether and work with the camera PC socket. I had Michael Bass mod my off camera shoe cord with a sub mini socket, so I can attach my transmitter to either the flash or the bracket, and plug into the OCSC, without worrying about cable stretch.</p>

Well I could just use a second umbrella on the other side and just do it like I usually do with pw's and feather the light across the group which I'm estimating at most will be 12 to 15 people. I have three 580's three stands, 4 pw's, 2 shoot thru umbrellas and one silver umbrella. its just that I have never used my off camera flash set up AND an on camera flash, not to mention that I'll have the bracket and sync cable all ready in place for reception and ceremony. I didn't want to have to take all that apart first just to do formals which may be after the ceremony. Opps if I'm not careful I'm gonna have to move my post to another forum.... ;-)

• 1 month later...