Getting A D90 and wonder about retro style straps

don_west1

<p>Well, I'm making the plunge in that my N90s film camera would need a repair more than it's worth any more (see my post about "beeping after every frame"); and I just ordered a new D90 and will go digital. My Canon F1 still has the embroidered style strap common of the 70s (and the camera works perfectly, too!). I have seen that Epic offers such style straps for today's cameras, but wondering if they're up to the strength and support of new cameras. One post warned they might be too flimsy, and the site says they're for one pound cameras and under. The D90 is 1lb 6oz body. So if that's not a good strap choice, who has a a lead on something of the retro style that's up to snuff? I did see a site "My Funky Camera" that has interesting straps, a but pricier than the Epic, but for a D90 I'm willing to get what's going to do the job, ya know :) Any thoughts appreciated....</p>

<p>Most of the camera straps I remember from the '70s with pop art stitching had fairly good cloth web strap backings and were strong enough to support a typical 35mm SLR about the size and weight of a Nikon FM and most primes from wide angles to short teles or a midrange zoom of that era.</p>

<p>The main problem with most of those straps was the metal hooks with the flat-spring lock/release doodad. I had two or three old straps from that era and don't use 'em on cameras because they scratch up the bodies. I've used 'em on lightweight bags. Dunno if I still have 'em tho'. Last time I used one was as a replacement strap for the cracked leather strap on my old Agfa Isolette folder neverready case.</p>

<p>Another problem with the older straps is that the cloth webbing tends to absorb salty sweat and skin oils from years of use, which makes the material brittle. Ditto the riveted or stitched leather end flaps. Most of those straps pre-dated the nylon web straps we see now. I wouldn't count on a used strap from that era until I'd given it a firm tug test.</p>

<p>Ideally some hipster oriented marketer would cook up some retro designs using nylon webbing for the backs and non-abrasive connectors like the Op-Tech or similar current models. I'd definitely like a paisley model to match my shirts and suspenders. Well, clash would be a more accurate description...</p>

<p>If you're into fashion get an embroidered strap, but what I used then (as a motorsports PJ) and still use now is the Nikon AN-4B (as in black). There is an AN-4Y (yellow). The AN-4B is nylon, thin with a wider section at the neck only (backed there by leather). No problem with an FTN/F36/cordless/8 alkys and heavy lenses (obviously not those with tripod mounts), an F2S/MD1/MB1/MF3 and its 10 alkys and the usual suspect lenses. Because they are thin you could have three bodies without getting intertwined spaghetti. In the '80s they changed the strap adjusters from metal to plastic, so I've recycled the early metal ones as they'll last a lifetime, though there is nothing wrong with the plastic as I use those too. I have thirteen film/dig Nikon bodies, and every one has an AN-4B.</p>

<p>http://www.jaypix.com/pix/bss.jpg</p>

<p>http://ns3.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=56&productNr=639</p>

<p>A photo link . . .</p>

<p>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3680081866_057a809dc5.jpg</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I thought I was going to get an after-market strap after buying both of my DSLRs, but I found that the strap that came with them works just great. But there are some of those systems that put the camera on your chest for easy grab-and-go. Look into those, too.</p>

<p>I have a Red Monkey strap http://www.redmonkeydesigns.com/store/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=f920fff17266338c8851f8f2f690884c for my Nikon F5 and D70s</p>

<p>On my Nikon D3 and D2x I use the Upstrap SLR/LT LARGE PAD BLACK KEVLAR WEB http://www.upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SLRK</p>

<p>Both straps are very comfortable the upstrap is so far my favorite work strap. The Red Monkey is more a fashion statement.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! The Souldier straps look great; naturally my taste is leaning towards the more expensive "Woodstock" version at $60. May order something like that down the line, just ordered the D90 with MB-D80, plus some close-up filters I'd been wanting. Let's regroup after paying that off and see about a groovy strap :) I'd lean towards the 2" strap as well unless anyone as a better suggestion....</p>

<p>Oh my...my arm got twisted and I can't resist. I contacted Souldier and they proved that if you order a 2" camera strap, and during checkout specify the "Red Woodstock" pattern (shown under guitar straps, rather than camera straps), you get the exact same pattern Jimi Hendrix used on his Strat at Woodstock (there are pictures to prove it, and they have the rights to the pattern; also the same pattern Elvis used in the 60s). Oh well, a little more to pay off, but that's going to be one heck of a fine strap ;) Thanks to all that pointed me to Souldier. I'll post a follow up when I receive the strap....</p>

<p>I heart the Souldier straps !!!<br>

I'm sold! I just have to figure out which strap I want ! or I could just get all three !?<br>

Hendrix BLK/RED or WINE - for the love of Jimi Hendrix and the vintage diva I am <br>

Lotus RED - self regeneration; Every cause -- be it action, word or thought -- will imprint an effect that can be seen in this lifetime or in future lives. <br>

or Lovebirds - for the lover in me <br>

Can anyone tell me what's the best length to get ?</p>

<p>~gabi<br>

peace.love.photography.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I didn't see a way to choose length of the camera straps. While you can ask for a longer guitar strap, it seems the camera is pre-set. Shoot them an email, they were cool at answering all my pre-sale questions, though I neglected to ask that. 40" is a common length, my 70s strap on my F1 is that length. "My Funky Camera" makes straps that are 26" long, but offer a 40" length as mostly the guys want that length. I'm hoping that Souldier goes ahead with the 40" length, and ability to adjust. Do let me know if you ask them about this; I placed an order today; it takes them about a week or so to manufacture. Jimi rules ;)</p>

<p>Well, as far as length of the Souldier straps, here's the note I got back from them:<br>

**************************************************************<br>

Every photographer has their own personal perfect length. That is why we have a patent-pending 4-way adjustable design. Straps go from around 30 inches to 60 some inches in seconds flat. Plus, we don't manufacture, everything is handmade to exacting high craftsmanship standards. Thanks.<br>

**************************************************************<br>

In the words of Olson Johnson from "Blazing Saddles." "Now, who can argue with that?"</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>And for those who have followed this thread....I just received my Souldier "Red Woodstock" strap today. It is fantastic, looks better than I ever could have imagined. They did a great job; and I went a little extra and ordered it with padding. My immediate thought...you can't go wrong with these guys ;)</p>