Photoshop CS5 and Lens Correction Profiles for EOS lenses

kevinbriggs

<p>Within Photoshop CS5, do the lens corrections (Filter > Lens Correction) that Adobe includes within CS5 constitute "suggestions," or rather are they specifically calibrated lens corrections that SHOULD be applied each and every time...?<br /><br />For example, I'm shooting with the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens, which is listed under the official Adobe calibration profile.<br /><br />Should I, therefore, batch process my files to take advantage of these lens corrections…?</p>

<p>Additionally, is Adobe trying to step into the arena occupied by DXO with regard to the calibration of specific camera bodies and lenses...?<br /><br />Meaning, with CS5, would the DXO product be unnecessary...?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any and all responses!</p>

<p>I'm a long-time DXO user, and suffered the bugs and unfriendly interface of the old versions. The current version really works well. I am continually annoyed with DXO for not supporting all my lenses on my 5D2, but they support the most important ones. And DXO works really, really, well. It's not as convenient as Lightroom, but it's not bad, either. Unlike PS CS5, it not only corrects for lens distortion and fall-off, it also knows how to fix photos so that spheres and cylinders are preserved instead of the usual rectilinear style mapping. For some shots (especially people shots with wide-angle lenses) this has been invaluable. The UI for keystone correction is very easy to use, too.</p>

<p>And then, wouldn't you know it, Adobe comes along a tries to put them out of their misery. I downloaded the CS5 trial and have been underwhelmed by the lens correction features: there's a lot of lenses for the 5D2, but again, not all of the ones I'm interested in. They seem to be coming from some sort of on-line library, but they are of unknown provenance and quality, and there seem to be some duplicates. The features seem to work and then they don't quite work...like a beta product if you ask me. You have to play with them and see if they work. Give me a break! Adobe charges $$$ for a pro tool and then doesn't even give you the key parts. Their laissez faire approach is fine with me so that I can add or look for support for obscurities, but I want to see Adobe-certified correction filters for currently shipping lenses. It's not their policy. I didn't buy CS5 and will have to roll back to CS4. (Although the content-aware fill is the killer feature that makes CS5 appealing nonetheless.)</p>

<p>Given time, I expect that reliable sources for Adobe corrections will start to appear and the "wisdom of the web" will decide what's good and not. Here, for example, we'll get to the bottom of it. Of course, you can make your own corrections. I don't personally have the time to do this right now.</p>

<p>There are other inexpensive options for many camera and lenses. <br /> PTlens is both a standalone app and photoshop Plugin (32 & 64bit).<br /> http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/</p>

<p>I try to choose lenses that do not have much distortion (many wide angle zooms have bad distortion on hte wide end). Keep in mind that when you add correcton (pixel bending) it always takes away from the resolution and sharpness where the correction occurs.</p>