D700 - Body joins oxidized?

erik_christensen3

<p>I have a D700 which is 16 months old and have been used frequently in SE Asia the latest 3 months with 40

degree +. Last month I went to Cambodia on a car trip and we had again around 40 degree daily and used aircon in

the car.<br>

The D700 have during the last 2 months shown some white stuff at all the body's joins plus at the screws inside

the pop-up flash - looks like oxidized, and it has NOT been out at sea, a few times at a beach, but always cleaned

afterwards.<br>

The camera is functioning perfectly, but I am wondering, if I should give it to Nikon Service Center for an

overhaul.<br>

Any with same experience and/or recommendations?</p>

<p>Interesting.</p>

<p>The environment is certainly harsh, heat/humidity.</p>

<p>I can understand the screws oxidizing under such extreme conditions as they (the screws) are not magnesium as is the body.</p>

<p>The joint seals? That's a new one on me.</p>

<p>Happens all the time in tropical climate, particularly when it's taken in and out of aircon. Frequent use seems to prevent it somehow, but cameras that I don't use so much (even my old, very waterproof E-1) have the problem. I live in Bangkok, and a dry cabinet is required for all camera gear here. Nikon overhaul? Might be a good idea.</p>

<p>Erik, <br>

We're pretty much covering the same part of the world and I've not experienced the "oxidation" you refer to. I've even had my D700 on a sea kayaking trip in southern Thailand shooting at kayak level and occasionally getting a bit damp. I've also spent some time with the D700 (and D300s) on the Mekong in northern Cambodia and southern Laos. I almost always wipe my cameras down with a cloth slightly dampened with fresh clean water after any shoots and perhaps this is the reason I've not seen any oxidation. Ciao, Leo. </p>

<p>Thank you for your comments - now I am more relaxed when hearing from neighbours with more or less same climate as in southern Vietnam. The D700 has been used in Vietnam daily, 1 month in Laos and 1 month in Cambodia. My D300 which is 3 years old does not have this issue despite used in the same geographical areas.</p>

<p>I have an elderly (3 year old)Fuji S5Pro based on Nikon D200 with metal body. It started to corrode within 6 months of use. <br /> I live in Cambodia and did a few trips to Malaysian Borneo and Laos in the wet season of 2007. 3 years on the camera looks rough around the edges but functions well.<br>

My 18-200 Nikon had mould but was cleaned OK (its not a pro weather sealed lens) My Nikon 70-200 F2.8 and 17-55 have not been affected. BTW I do not store in a/c room as I believe that condensation is a camera killer.<br>

I consider that my camera has the patina of use (The paint finish and text on buttons worn in places ) so I'm not going to worry about it as would never want to sell it as its so good.<br>

<br /> It does seem disappointing that your new camera has that problem. I have a Nikon D300s (similar body to D700) bought in Cambodia in Feb. 3 months on a 11k images it still looks like new.</p>

<p>I suspect the few times you were at the beach to be the culprit. Close to the shore, the air is more or less saturated with salt according to ocean conditions. The salt laden air saturates everything and salt residue probably languished in the cracks an crannies of your D700, causing corrosion over time. I encountered this problem with my Nikon F3 here in Hawaii shooting sailboat races out on the ocean, even though the camera was always protected with a plastic bag while shooting. I had the F3 CLA'd by Nikon twice for the symptoms you describe. Salt air is insidious.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dave I have a D300 which does not have any problems and it is always in my bag together with the D700. My trips to Laos/Cambodia was in dry season.<br>

Robert - I admit both my cameras have been on the beach, but never out on the sea, but you may be right, that it could be the culprit, as it is always a strong onshore wind.<br>

I better look into getting some protectionbags, when using the cameras at the seaside.<br>

Thanks for your comments.</p>

<p>I live in in SEAsia and have not experienced what you mentioned. Drybox is a must but if you're travelling, maybe you can use the sealed box with plenty of silica. When not in use, my D700 is in the drybox but my previous Oly was never in a drybox and didn't have any problems like that.<br />Please also note that our perspiration could also contribute esp if it was not cleaned off properly.</p>