Engagement photos

rj russell

<p>Hi there,<br>

I am a nature/ landscape shooter who has become more of a candid shooter being recognized for candid art. Now I have been asked to do engagement phots at sunset by the lake. I have Canon Rebel, 50 f 1.4, 17-55 f 2.8 and sigma 10-22.</p>

<p>Any advice or input would be awesome!<br>

Cheers!</p>

<p>For something like that, the advice would run for pages and pages...but succinctly:</p>

<p>You need lighting! Either an off-camera flash or proper strobes. Otherwise forget it. Even if you could take a few shots with the couple looking AT the setting sun, chances are those would be the only ones you could take. And if that was the case, chances are you would have only a few minutes to take them all.</p>

<p>You also need a reflector - preferably white or silver (gold would doubly enhance the golden light of the setting sun and result in a deep orange or red).</p>

<p>Your 17-55 should serve you well but I would look into either borrowing or renting a 70-200 so you can give the couple some room and completely remove your shadow from the images (it WOULD show if you had the couple facing the sun and you were standing anywhere in the middle - sort of, you know what I mean...;-))</p>

<p>Personally, I'd set them with their backs to the sunset (and the lake), meter for the background and then light them from the from with a gelled strobe or two (1/2 CTO or so) That way you would get all those lovely reds and yellows, the deep blue of the lake and the sky AND the couple...;-)))</p>

<p>I know this is nowhere near enough, but it should get you thinking...;-) Good luck...</p>

<p>I think you don't need any new gear. If anything a reflector, someone to hold it, and the knowledge for how to use it. Late evening light is about as easy as it gets. If you use your 50mm it will keep you from getting too close. Try some practice sessions at around the same time as the shoot will be and learn how to use the natural light to your advantage. Pay attention to where most of the light is coming from and how this creates shadows and highlights. Pay attention to your background. Is it busy? How light or dark is it and how does this change the picture? Try to compose to add depth to the picture. Get some distance between the couple and the background, try to add foreground elements, and leading lines as well. Try to relax and have fun. Talk to the couple and have them talk to each other, interact with each other. Have them do things they might not otherwise do to make it fun and break things up. When they are laughing or whenever there is motion and they are not posing, and you think you have something, take a bunch of frames. Have a few basic poses in mind that you want to try. Try to get as much variety as possible, try different angles, get up high, and down low. Good luck!</p>