History of Portrait Photography becoming Headshots Images

<p>Dear Portrait Photographers,</p>

<p>Do you consider yourself a Headshot photographer automatically simply because you shoot Portraits? Or a Portrait photographer differs from a Headshot Image Capturer?<br /> <br /> What is your opinion of the difference between a Headshot and a Portrait?<br /> <br /> In my opinion the difference is that Headshots implies modern process for capturing a portrait image, which includes social media sites like facebook, linkedin and tweeter. Headshots are professional images designed to evoke an acceptance from its viewers, by way of modern pos-production approach.<br /> Looking forward to your ideas and discussion,<br>

Sincerely Yours,<br /> Carlos Taylhardat</p>

<p>What is the purpose of the attached images, and the business slogan as a caption? Your previous thread on this topic, the other day, was an undisguised business promotion. This one is a <em>little</em> more subtle, but still seems mostly designed to tie together phrases like "facebook," "vancouver," "headshots," "social media," and two spellings of your name in the interest of Google search results. Call me a cynic, I guess. Regardless, this is probably a better fit in the portraiture forum.<br /><br /><br><p><b>Moderator: Moved to Portrait Forum, irrelevant photos removed.</b></p>

<p>Hi Matt,<br>

It interests me to hear from photographers about the difference between portraits and Headshots as its my profession and livelihood, and an area that I take seriously. I added an image that is relevant to Headshots, which I wouldn't have relevance as a portfolio image, because of its commercial nature.<br>

Its an example of a Headshot and not a portrait. Which is a discussion that is quite relevant to professional portrait photogaphers, specially in cities that have movie productions like, L.A, Vancouver and New York. <br>

I am quite looking forward to this discussion,<br>

Carlos Taylhardat</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ringo, I dont think where you crop defines the image or the maker. It's a result of the purpose of the image. Historically, a portrait shows a likeness of a person, the soul or character of the person and usually involve some negotiation between photographer/artist and sitter or patron. A head shot does that but is a portrait that is cropped tighter. Perhaps you specialize in headshots?</p>

<p>"Headshot" is a term of art in at least two contexts. In the newspaper world, it is a closely cropped head or head and shoulders shot that can be run one-column wide in the newspaper, usually with just the person's name underneath as opposed to a full caption. Lighting can range from natural sunlight to strobe on the camera to an off-camera umbrellas, but the pictures are usually made on the fly and the key purpose is just to show what the person looks like rather than any artistry. A formal backdrop that makes it look like a studio portrait is actually considered undesirable. Newspapers keep thousands of headshots on file of just about anybody who is in the news in their area of coverage. There are also actor headshots, which are usually studio shots that show the actor in a flattering yet authentic way (you have to be able to live up to your headshot when you audition in person). Traditionally shot again seemless and usually with relatively soft lighting. Actors get their headshot done, then print them up by the hundreds with their resume printed on the back to send to agents, producers, etc. (Probably less actualy physical printing and mailing now that everything is on the web.) "Portrait" in a very wide term but to me it usually means a studio shot with main, fill, hairlight and background light against a studio backdrop, usually also head and shoulders. But it can also be full length, couples rather than one person, or a whole family, or an "environmental" portrait shot where the person works/lives and showing the surroundings. A key element in a "portrait" is that it is posed and intended to show the person in a way they would like to be seen, as opposed to a news photo showing them in actual action of a news "headshot" done in a minute or two with little regard to whether they like it or not. Obviously there are a million variations on these definitions. Just my two cents worth.</p>

• 2 years later...