Polarizer vs. Shooting vivid

tony12tt

<p>The Vivid setting adjust in-camera sharpening, contrast, brightness, saturation and hue. I am most often quite happy with the default settings on my D700 for landscape/architecture. However, I have customized the sharpening to zero. I do not want any sharpening of clouds and therefore I prefer to apply sharpening in post.</p>

<p>When shooting portraits I usually set Standard in Picture control.</p>

<p>Jonas I do not do smartness comparisons on internet fora :-)</p>

<p>If you got this impression I am sorry - it was not my intention.</p>

<p>My experience though is that readers of this forum are of various degrees of experience in photography or physics. You gave detailed information that happened to be wrong and I felt it was for the benefit of the reader to correct this.<br>

It can easily happen that someone may read a post with false information and take this for granted.<br>

After all it is more important to avoid the spreading of wrong concepts than to be afraid to hurt someones feeling.</p>

<p>Walter, in your first post you compare shooting in automatic mode with using vivid settings. Then you comment on recomposing from landscape to portrait in regards to turning the circular polarizer. At first glance it appeared as forum noise. How could I miss your pedagogic intention?</p>

<p>Now I realize that I was misunderstanding and that your only aim was to help lesser experienced photographers from falling into the trap to turn the the polarizer to far back.</p>

<p>I appologize for even thinking that your comments were arrogant and irrelevant.</p>