In midday lighting - how do I ....

magnus2

<p>I was in a big grass field with very blue sky in the middle of the day. I wanted to underexpose the blue sky by a stop to get that DEEP blue color and then I wanted to add my flash to expose the subject properly. However, by big green grass was also under exposed (as the sky was). I guess using one flash to increase the grass field by one stop is out of the question so how do I get that blue sky but normal green and properly exposed subject?</p>

<p>I'm not sure how to get the result you're after at mid-day, but I did something similar in later afternoon on a cloudy day. I did end up using 3 flashes though - one on the subject, two on the grass from either side. To intensify the blue I set the white balance manually to a low setting (i.e. incandescent), then put CTO gel material over the flashes to warm up their light back to "normal". The grass is not all lit however - some dark areas.</p><div>00WXKH-246861884.jpg.218f6cdfcc9eecc7f4ea5590165a8408.jpg</div>

<p>The properly exposed subject is not a problem if you use flash or reflector to light them. The grass--not a lot you can do outside of the grass around the subject in the same plane (more or less) as the subject, as Robert's image shows. If the grass extends from under your feet, under the subject(s)' feet, and beyond, you cannot get it all exposed properly and at the same time, underexpose the sky.</p>

<p>A graduated filter might help. A polarizer might help, but probably, post work on the sky and possibly on the grass, would be the most workable thing,</p>

<p>Hi Everyone<br />I love shooting outdoors and underexposing the sky and background and using flash to fill. I shot this picture with a single 500W/s Gemini with small softbox and Travelpak battery. It was taken mid afternoon on a bright sunny day.<br />Best regards<br />Dave<br /><a href="http://www.david-thrower.blogspot.com">www.david-thrower.blogspot.com</a></p>

<p>Dave, was the flash fill or main? Looks like your softbox is high left from rectangular catchlight, creating the nose shadow, using sun as fill for shadows and darkening sky with the light power. Looks like nose/chin shadows are softened a bit from the soft box rather than created by full sun. If so, where was sun? Asking because I like the shot. Love the feel of it. The blonde hair separates nicely from the dark bg without needing a hair light too. </p>

<p>Hi Bob<br>

Glad you like the photo - thanks mate it's always good to get positive feedback.<br>

I took the shot at around 3pm last week here in England and I think the sun was behind my left shoulder as the shot was taken facing north ish. I underexposed the natural daylight by around 2 stops as the shot was taken at ISO 100 at F16 and at 1/200th of a second (from memory). Effectively the flash was the main light because the background was very underexposed to give the feeling of dusk in the shot. I have to admit I don't use a light meter outside of the studio as speed is the key (people hang around watching and the models get a bit nervous) so I use the LCD screen to check the effect I get.<br>

I only ever use one light when out on location and can overpower the daylight with a 500W/s flash head unless it's really bright - full sun at midday. I find that having the sun behind the model works very well too as you get a lovely rim light around the hair and body. I took some like this yesterday and will post a shot in my profile tomorrow when I get the chance.<br>

If I can be of any help please drop me an email and I'll do my best to help you out.<br>

Best regards<br>

Dave<br>

<a href="http://www.david-thrower.blogspot.com">www.david-thrower.blogspot.com</a></p>